communication - Speech Option
Bachelor's Degree | Russellville Campus | In-Person or Blended
The Communication major provides our students with learning experiences through which to create their own career path in this broad discipline. In 18 hours of core courses, students establish foundational knowledges of what the discipline is, how to communicate effectively and ethically in personal and public contexts, how to conduct research and how the discipline has developed over time. Students work with communication faculty advisors to shape an 18-hour elective program that will inform and enhance their future career goal through courses that address the role of communication in organizational, intercultural and popular culture contexts.
Seminars, embracing both undergraduate and graduate students, provided additional opportunities for students to broaden their knowledge. Some of the seminars offered by communication faculty included: Crisis Communication, Health Communication, Gender and Communication, Sports Communication and Apocalyptic Rhetoric. The scope and versatility of the major allows for our students to double-major (and minor) in areas as diverse as Public Relations, Political Science, Psychology and Sociology. As one of the most in-demand skill sets for employees, the Arkansas Tech University B.A. degree in Communication provides our students the necessary communication skills to carry into their desired careers.
HANDS-ON LEARNING opportunities
- Research engagement with a faculty member and through the ATU Communication Club.
SKILLS YOU WILL LEARN
- Communicating ethically and persuasively in civic settings
- Developing interviewing skills
- Using communication to effectively work with others
- Writing and presenting business presentations
About This Degree
Students living in states bordering Arkansas receive in-state tuition.
Financial Aid is available for those who qualify. The Arkansas Tech University school code to use on the FAFSA is 001089.
- Financial Aid
- Payment Plan
- Graduate Assistantships
You could work as a(n):
- Community Relations Director
- Corporate Communication Specialist
- Human Resources Manager
- Patient Rights Advocate
Alumni of our program work at:
- Baptist Health Services, Little Rock AR
- Friendship Community Care, Benton AR
- Open Tech Alliance (National Company based in Phoenix, AZ)
- State of Arkansas Legislature (State Senator Breanne Davis)
View the links below to better understand the courses, the course timeline, and who your faculty will be when you enroll as an ATU student.
Credentials that stack with this degree:
- Master’s Degree in Communication
- Doctorate Degree in Communication
- Certificate of Technical Communication (Pending)
Point of Pride
Our program received an excellent rating in the most recent Communication Program Review submitted to the Arkansas Department of Higher Education (ADHE).