Recreation and Park Administration - Therapeutic Recreation
Bachelor's Degree | Russellville Campus | In-Person or Blended
The Therapeutic Recreation emphasis prepares competent, entry-level therapeutic recreation specialists (recreational therapists) with the required knowledge, skills and abilities needed to improve functional outcomes and increase participation in life activities for individuals with illnesses and/or disabling conditions. Students will learn recreation and activity-based interventions to help improve an individual's physical, emotional, cognitive, social, spiritual and leisure functioning to enjoy life more fully. The program prepares students for certification through the National Council for Therapeutic Recreation Certification (NCTRC).
HANDS-ON LEARNING opportunities
- 15 Service-Learning hours working with individuals with special needs.
- Provide an opportunity for a make and take arts and crafts project at the City of LR Parks and Recreation Therapeutic Recreation Arts Festival.
- TR Interventions courses - hand-on opportunities with a variety of intervention techniques.
SKILLS YOU WILL LEARN
- Critical thinking
- Medical terminology
- Problem-solving programming for persons with disabilities
- Program planning
- Supervisory management
- Team building
About This Degree
In-State: $232 per credit hour
Out-of-State: $464 per credit hour
Students living in states bordering Arkansas receive in-state tuition.
Financial Aid is available for those who qualify. The Arkansas Tech University school code to use on the FAFSA is 001089.
- Financial Aid
- Payment Plan
- Graduate Assistantships
You could work as a(n):
- Activity Director
- Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist (CTRS)
- Inclusive Recreation Specialist/Programmer
- Special Recreation Programmer
Alumni of our program work at:
- Baptist Health
- Centers for Youth and Families
- City of Little Rock Parks and Recreation/TR Division
- Rivendell Behavioral Health
View the links below to better understand the courses, the course timeline, and who your faculty will be when you enroll as an ATU student.
Credentials that stack with this degree:
- Certificate or MS in Gerontology
- Child Life Specialist
- MS - Therapeutic Recreation
Point of Pride
Our students have a 93% pass rate on the National Council for Therapeutic Recreation Certification Exam.