Health Information management
Bachelor's Degree | Russellville Campus | In-Person
Health Information Management (HIM) professionals are experts in managing the collection, storage, retrieval, analysis and interpretation of health care data and information. To provide the highest quality health care delivery, health care information is used not only for patient care, but also for medical legal issues, reimbursement, research, planning and evaluation. A career in health information management combines the disciplines of medicine, information technology, management and law within the healthcare industry.
HANDS-ON LEARNING opportunities
- Students use a virtual lab application throughout the program in which they have the opportunity to use actual electronic health records as well as medical encoders and other applications.
- The program partners with a number of healthcare organizations so that senior students are able to visit these facilities and see firsthand how the HIM departments operate.
- Upon completion of the main coursework, senior HIM students are able to engage in an internship that many times works into a job upon graduation.
SKILLS YOU WILL LEARN
- Information and data management and analysis in a healthcare setting
- Coding and classification of records for reimbursement
- Differentiated quality and uses of data within the healthcare field
- Administration of health information electronic systems
- Compliance with standards and regulations
- Data preparation for accreditation and auditing
- Analysis of clinical data for research and public policy
About This Degree
In-State: $232 per credit hour
Out-of-State: $464 per credit hour
Students living in states bordering Arkansas receive in-state tuition.
Financial Aid is available for those who qualify. The Arkansas Tech University school code to use on the FAFSA is 001089.
- Financial Aid
- Payment Plan
- Graduate Assistantships
You could work as a(n):
- Opportunities for employment are found in a variety of settings, including hospitals,
clinics, rehabilitation centers, home health agencies, health insurance organizations,
governmental agencies, educational institutions and research centers.
Alumni of our program work at:
- Cerner Corporation
Arkansas Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Administrative Consultant Service, LLC
View the links below to better understand the courses, the course timeline, and who your faculty will be when you enroll as an ATU student.
Credentials that stack with this degree:
- Master of Science in Health Informatics
- Master of Health Administration
Point of Pride
Named #10 in the country for the best bachelor program in Health Information Management by BachelorDegreeCenter.com.