Frequently Asked Questions



The Arkansas Tech Financial Aid Office is located on the second floor of Brown Hall, Suite 206.

Our mailing address:

Brown Hall, Suite 206
105 West O Street
Russellville, AR 72801

Phone: (479)968-0399
Fax: (479)964-0857

Our office is open from 8 am - 5 pm Monday through Friday. 

Our Title IV school code is 001089. If you want your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) sent to us, put this number on the FAFSA.

Click here for a fact sheet on the FSA ID.  It is also available in Spanish here.

Yes, if you are a dependent student, both you and one of your parents need separate FSA IDs, using different e-mail addresses.  Your parent just needs one FSA ID and can use it for their other dependent children, or even to submit and sign their own FAFSA.

To complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®), you will need:

  • Your Social Security Number
  • Your Alien Registration Number (if you are not a U.S. citizen)
  • Your federal income tax returns, W-2s, and other records of money earned. (Note: You may be able to transfer your federal tax return information into your FAFSA using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool.)
  • Bank statements and records of investments (if applicable)
  • Records of untaxed income (if applicable)
  • An FSA ID to sign electronically.

If you are a dependent student, then you will also need most of the above information for your parent(s).

Here is some information on whether or not you are dependent or independent on the FAFSA, it is also in Spanish here.


Verification means we have to double check the information you reported on your FAFSA.  Simply turn in the requested forms and documents (any red flags on OneTech) as soon as possible to our office.
Yes, starting with the 2017-2018 financial aid year, we are required to officially document if you or your parent(s) did not file an income tax return and you are chosen for verification.  You can request this documentation with the IRS form 4506-T.  Instructions are included on this form.  If you are unsuccessful with getting this information from the IRS, we have an alternate form you can submit.
YES!  To receive any offered aid, you must begin and remain in attendance through the 100% tuition refund period for each class.  If you do not attend, ALL of your financial aid will be returned, possibly leaving a balance due on your account.
It is imperative you check with our office if you plan on dropping any or all of your classes.  Your aid may be dependent on the number of hours you attempt or complete.  Talk to us before you make any schedule changes also, click to see our withdrawal information.
If your final grades consist of all “F’s,” you will receive a letter detailing the amount, if any, aid you will have to repay for the term.  The amount owed is calculated using your last documented date of attendance for the term. 
Financial aid will pay for only one repeat of a class in which you have already received a passing grade, this includes classes that you withdrew from after receiving a passing grade.
No, federal aid will only pay undergraduates for undergrad classes and graduates for grad classes, not for combined enrollment.
Yes, the instructions for submitting an appeal are located here.  For a faster turn around, fill it out or submit it on OneTech.  The instructions are included on the form.
Refund and other important dates are posted on the Student Accounts web site.
If you are eligible, once you complete the FAFSA and all requested paperwork, a loan will automatically be offered to you. You will be notified through your ATU e-mail address once your student aid offer is available to view. You will then be able to accept or decline your aid by using OneTech.

Steps for completing a Parent PLUS loan application:

**Student must have a completed FAFSA on file to be eligible for a PLUS loan.

Go to and click on Learn More on the Parent of a Student borrower type.

A parent must log in with their FSA ID to start the application.

Complete the application as requested, making note of where the application asks for student information and borrower information. The parent is the borrower for a Parent PLUS loan.

Shortly after the application is submitted, Arkansas Tech University will receive the PLUS request and send the student an updated award notification letter.

If the PLUS loan is approved and the parent is a new borrower, a PLUS Master Promissory Note (MPN) will also need to be completed by the parent on the PLUS MPN website.  If the parent has borrowed a PLUS loan prior to this application, a new MPN is not required.

If the PLUS loan is denied, we will be notified of the denial and will offer the student additional Federal Direct Unsubsidized loans if eligibility remains.

Undergraduate students must be enrolled in at least 6 hours of undergraduate classes and graduate students must be enrolled in at least 5 graduate hours to receive loans. All students must begin and remain in attendance through the 100% tuition refund period for each class to receive this loan. You may not receive a disbursement on an approved student loan until at least six of the hours in which you have enrolled have actually begun. For example, if you enroll in six hours for fall but three of those hours do not begin until mid-term, you would not receive your student loans until mid-term. Note:  Financial aid will pay for only one repeat of a class in which you have already received a passing grade, this includes classes from which you withdrew after receiving a passing grade- this may cause your enrollment to be below the requirement for loansTherefore, you will not receive loan funds.  Check with our office if you have a question about your schedule.

The main differences between the two loans are 1) subsidized loan eligibility is based on financial need, whereas an unsubsidized loan is not, and 2) the government pays the interest for the student on subsidized loans while the student is enrolled in school at least half-time.

Repayment is deferred for BOTH loans until six months after the student graduates or stops attending school at least half-time.

All first-time loan borrowers must complete both the entrance counseling and MPN. Go to and sign in to complete the requirements. Notifications will be sent electronically to the school within around 24 hrs. You will only have to complete these once during your time at ATU.

All Freshman first-time borrowers have a 30 day delay (from the 1st day of class) on the initial loan disbursement.

Also, for any grade level, if the loan is for one semester you will receive half of the loan at the beginning of the semester and the remaining half at the mid-point of the semester.

Generally, all loan eligibility is awarded during the Fall and Spring semesters. In order to use loan funds to pay for summer classes, you will need to reserve money from Fall or Spring to pay for summer charges.  If you do not accept all of your eligibility for the Fall and Spring semesters, you may have funding available.  Please contact our office for student specific information.
Use the Loan Simulator to get an early look at which repayment plan you may be eligible for and see estimates for how much you would pay monthly and overall.

Yes, there are limits established for the federal loan program. 

Dependent (per the FAFSA) undergraduate students may borrow a maximum of $31,000.  Only $23,000 of this may be subsidized.

Independent (per the FAFSA) undergraduate students may borrow a maximum of $57,500.  Only $23,000 of this may be subsidized.

Graduate students may borrow a maximum of $138,500 (this INCLUDES loans received as an undergraduate student).  All graduate level loans are unsubsidized.

For either the Tech scholarships or the Arkansas Division of Higher Education (ADHE) awards, your enrollment is reported as of the 11th class day of each term. This date varies with each term, so be sure to check with the Financial Aid Office to determine what this date is before you change your schedule. Any additions after the 11th class day to meet the minimum required enrollment will not be considered.

Ask yourself the following questions. Have you:

  • Been officially admitted to Tech?
  • Registered for the correct number of hours? (15 hours for all Tech academic scholarships)
  • Filled out your FAFSA at
  • Signed up for on-campus housing, if required, OR obtained an exemption from Residence Life?
  • Turned in all required documents to Financial Aid prior to the deadline (August 1 for Continuing Scholarships and December 1 for Freshmen Scholarships)?

Ask yourself the following questions. Did you:

  • Meet the renewal requirements for the scholarship? 
  • COMPLETE your FAFSA and all required paperwork prior to the deadline (August 1 for Continuing Scholarships and December 1 for Freshmen Scholarships)?
  • Register for the correct number of hours? (15 hours for all Tech academic scholarships)
  • Move out of campus housing and not get an exemption from Residence Life?
Information about renewal requirements can be found on the Renewal Requirements webpage or in the Academic Catalog for the year of your enrollment.
Requests for scholarship reinstatements/deferments are considered by the Scholarship Appeals Committee. Students who wish to appeal for a reinstatement or deferment should put their request in writing and sent it via email to or by mail to Alisa Waniewski, ATU Office of Admissions, Brown Hall, Suite 104, Russellville AR 72801. Any supporting documentation that is available should be included. Appeal decisions are made by the Scholarship Appeals Committee. 
No, you don’t have to enroll in 15 hours during your last semester of scholarship eligibility. However, if you enroll in less than 12 hours, your scholarship award will be prorated based on the number of hours in which you are enrolled. The Financial Aid Office should be notified if you plan to enrolled in less than 15 hours during your final semester of scholarship eligibility. 
See the Estimated Work-Study Eligibility Chart to determine an estimate of the maximum number of hours you may work per week.