communication - Theatre Option
Bachelor's Degree | Russellville Campus | In-Person or Blended
The Theatre Option in Communication offers a full range of course, including acting, writing, directing, film-making, and stagecraft. The program puts on four productions a year, with special emphasis on student playwrights and directors. Special courses are regularly offered in such cutting edge topics as Audio Drama, Stand-Up Comedy Writing, and Viral Marketing. Students will be well prepared for careers in professional theatre, educational theatre, and new careers relating to new media. This is a good program for anyone interested in learning a broad range of skills, especially those related to performance, entertainment, aesthetics and the confident presentation of self.
HANDS-ON LEARNING opportunities
- Students can participate in productions, either on-stage or behind the scenes.
- Students can perform, write or direct for the Arkansas Radio Theatre, which operates out of ATU.
- Students can apply to work in the scene shop, building sets, costumes and props.
SKILLS YOU WILL LEARN
- Aesthetic understanding
- Organizational skills
- Dramatic writing
- Film-making skills
- Confident presentation of self
About This Degree
In-State: $232 per credit hour
Out-of-State: $464 per credit hour
Students living in states bordering Arkansas receive in-state tuition.
Financial Aid is available for those who qualify. The Arkansas Tech University school code to use on the FAFSA is 001089.
- Financial Aid
- Payment Plan
- Graduate Assistantships
You could work as a(n):
- Professional theatre (actor or technician)
- Teacher (many go on to work toward K-12 or university jobs)
- New media jobs such as influencer
- Any job that requires performance (law, clergy, etc.)
Alumni of our program work at:
- Arkansas high schools
- Universities across the country
- Reynolds Performance Hall
- Professional theatres (Northern Stage in Vermont and elsewhere)
View the links below to better understand the courses, the course timeline, and who your faculty will be when you enroll as an ATU student.
Credentials that stack with this degree:
- MA in Theatre
- MFA in theatre-related field like acting, directing, design, or playwriting
- Ph.D. in Theatre (after earning master’s degree)
Point of Pride
The ATU Theatre program has earned Meritorious Achievement Awards from the Kennedy Center American College Theater Festival and is taking steps to become one of the only programs in the nation with emphasis on film-making for the small (cell phone) screen.