Health and Physical Education-Teaching/Coaching Licensure
Bachelor's Degree | Russellville Campus | In-Person or Blended
The Department of Health and Physical Education’s Teaching/Coaching Licensure (HPE/TC) program is nationally accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP). The HPE/TC program is a part of the College of Education professional preparation program curricula approved by the Arkansas Department of Education. Our curriculum develops teachers of health and physical education who are competent in the design and implementation of effective K-12 programming that promotes 21st century health literate individuals. Our students observe Health and Physical Education classes in both urban and rural public school classrooms where innovative teaching partners provide real-world experiences in teaching and classroom management.
The HPE/TC curriculum culminates with a year-long internship in the public schools where our students become practitioners through their experiences with applying their knowledge of content by splitting their time between K-6 and 7-12 settings. It is here where our students develop specialized skills in communication with 21st century learners by bringing the immature movers of society to fully mature.
HANDS-ON LEARNING opportunities
- Students complete 60 clock hours of practicum experience during their first 4 semesters with partnering school districts.
- Students complete a year-long internship in the K-12 classroom and log over 480 clock hours of experience with curriculum design, behavior management, instructional design, and assessment strategies.
- Students develop a professional portfolio as a complete record of their experiences while teaching in the public school, attending professional conferences, volunteering with local organizations, and completing leadership opportunities while participating in the HPE organizational club.
SKILLS YOU WILL LEARN
- Community Capacity-knowing how to work with key stakeholders in the organization and community.
- Instructional Delivery-including pedagogical strategy and use of assessment to foster continued student and organizational growth.
- Instructional Planning- including best practices in teaching health and physical education.
- Leadership/Teamwork skills-including professional development and volunteerism.
About This Degree
In-State: $232 | Out-of-State: $464
Students living in states bordering Arkansas receive in-state tuition.
Financial Aid is available for those who qualify. The Arkansas Tech University school code to use on the FAFSA is 001089.
- Financial Aid
- Payment Plan
- Graduate Assistantships
You could work as a(n):
- K-12 Public School Teacher
- Public School Administration’s assistant principal, principal, assistant Athletic Director or Athletic Director
- Public School Athletic Coach
- Insurance sales
Alumni of our program work at:
- El Dorado Public Schools
- Russellville Public Schools
- Springdale Public Schools
- Star City Public Schools
View the links below to better understand the courses, the course timeline, and who your faculty will be when you enroll as an ATU student.
Credentials that stack with this degree:
- Educational Leadership, M Ed
- School Counseling and Leadership, M Ed
- Teaching, Learning, & Leadership-Curriculum Administrator/Master Teacher Leader (MTLL), MEd
Point of Pride
HPE students have a 95% pass rate on Arkansas teacher licensure exams.