Master's Degree | Russellville Campus | In-Person or Blended
The Master of Arts in English requires 30 semester hours. At least 15 of these hours must be completed at the 6000-level. All students will be required to pass a comprehensive final examination.
Tech's M.A. in English is a flexible program designed to prepare students for doctoral-level study or for careers in post-secondary teaching and to provide secondary teachers with a content-specific program to enhance their credentials. Students who are interested in concentrating their study on the teaching of English as Second Language can complete an M.A. in English with a TESL option.
High on quality and low on prescription, Tech's M.A. in English includes only one required course: Introduction to English Graduate Study. Students select the remaining nine courses of their 30-semester-hour degree program from a challenging variety of literary, cultural, interdisciplinary, linguistic, creative and rhetorical seminars.
HANDS-ON LEARNING opportunities
- M.A. English students who are selected to be graduate teaching assistants gain valuable classroom experience.
- M.A. English students are encouraged to attend and present at professional meetings.
SKILLS YOU WILL LEARN
- Demonstrated mastery of significant American and British literary works.
- Ability to generate writing that demonstrates advanced analysis and synthesis.
- Ability to conduct original research.
- Demonstrated familiarity with a variety of interdisciplinary critical approaches.
About This Degree
Students living in states bordering Arkansas receive in-state tuition.
Financial Aid is available for those who qualify. The Arkansas Tech University school code to use on the FAFSA is 001089.
- Financial Aid
- Payment Plan
- Graduate Assistantships
You could work as a(n):
- Doctoral study
- Secondary teacher
- Doctor of academic communication
- Social media manager
- Development assistant
- Personnel director
Alumni of our program work at:
- University of Arkansas-Fort Smith
- University of Arkansas-Morrilton
- Virtual Arkansas
- Humanities Kansas
View the links below to better understand the courses, the course timeline, and who your faculty will be when you enroll as an ATU student.
Credentials that stack with this degree:
- The M.A. English is an excellent preparation for law school or doctoral study in English, composition and rhetoric, linguistics, TESOL, comparative literature or cultural studies.
Point of Pride
M.A. English graduates have been admitted to doctoral programs at the University of Arkansas, Oklahoma State University, Louisiana State, the State University of New York at-Buffalo and Texas A & M-Kingsville.
IT'S TIME TO STEP UP
Find out how we will empower you to meet every challenge head-on.