Master Of Arts - Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages
Master's Degree | Russellville Campus | In-Person or Online
The Master of Arts degree in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (M.A. in TESOL) is available to the full range of graduate students, domestic and international, who are interested in advancing their knowledge of and credentials in the teaching of English language learners, and serves as a foundation for doctoral-level studies. We believe that our commitment to offering the appropriate course work in a variety of formats, including entirely online, makes it possible for students with differing needs to achieve their educational goals efficiently.
Having a state-issued ESOL K-12 license or any subject teacher license with the TESOL
endorsement is a plus to teach K-12 schools, adult education
centers, overseas, or online:
- ANCILLARY K-12 ESOL LICENSURE
- Students who complete the M.A TESOL, Praxis 5362 (English to Speakers of Other Languages), an AELS background check, and the required IDEAS professional development modules can apply for an ancillary K-12 ESOL teaching license.
- ESL ENDORSEMENT
- Certified Arkansas teachers can add an endorsement in English as a Second Language by completing the four courses listed below and passing the Praxis 5362 examination. Each course is offered at both the undergraduate and the graduate level. For additional information contact Dr. David Bell, Arkansas Tech's Licensure Officer.
- PROGRAM HIGHLIGHTS
- Flexible only four of ten courses are prescribed. There is no set sequence of courses
- Multiple entry points Students may start the degree fall, spring, or summer
- We offer three summer sessions (3 weeks in May, 5 weeks June-July, 5 weeks July-August)
HANDS-ON LEARNING opportunities
- Some courses offer students opportunities to integrate their experience with English language learners.
- Local students are able to take advantage of opportunities to observe instruction
in our writing center, local ESL classrooms, or the adult education center.
SKILLS YOU WILL LEARN
- Demonstrated knowledge of TESL methodology.
- Ability to generate writing that demonstrates an advanced ability to analyze and synthesize
- Ability to conduct original research.
- Demonstrated knowledge of linguistic theories of second language acquisition.
- Demonstrated awareness of how cultural factors affect second language acquisition.
About This Degree
In-State: $292 per credit hour
Out-of-State: $584 per credit hour
Students living in states bordering Arkansas receive in-state tuition.
Financial Aid is available for those who qualify. The Arkansas Tech University school code to use on the FAFSA is 001089.
- Financial Aid
- Payment Plan
- Graduate Assistantships
You could work as a(n):
- ESL/EFL Teacher, Tutor, or College Instructor
- Curriculum Specialist for educational and government institutions
- Second Language Academy Program Director
Alumni of our program work at:
- Al Akahwayn University (Morocco)
- Al Batin Community College (Saudi Arabia)
- St. John's University
- Bentonville High School
- University of the Ozarks
View the links below to better understand the courses, the course timeline, and who your faculty will be when you enroll as an ATU student.
Credentials that stack with this degree:
- Additional Credentials
- Certificate of Proficiency in TESOL
- Minor in TESOL
- Accelerated B.A. and M.A. in TESOL degree program
Point of Pride
Intelligent.com ranked the TESOL Program at ATU as the Best TESOL Program out of 415 accredited programs.