English with TESL Option
Master's Degree | Russellville Campus | In-Person or Online
The Master of Arts in English with the Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL) option requires 30 semester hours. At least 15 of these hours must be completed at the 6000-level. All students will be required to pass a TESL comprehensive examination.
Tech's M.A. in English with the TESL option offers graduate students an opportunity to include the four courses prescribed by the Arkansas Department of Education for ESL endorsement within a structured degree program. The M.A. in English with TESL option can prepare students for doctoral-level study or for careers in post-secondary teaching. The degree can also be used to enhance the credentials of secondary teachers.
The seven prescribed courses in the M.A. in English with TESL option provide graduates with a solid foundation of skills to help them work with students for whom English is not their first language. The three electives may be chosen from a challenging variety of literary, cultural, interdisciplinary, linguistic, creative and rhetorical seminars.
HANDS-ON LEARNING opportunities
- Some courses offer students opportunities to integrate their experience with English language learners.
- Local students are able to take advantage of opportunities to observe instruction in our English Language Institute.
SKILLS YOU WILL LEARN
- Demonstrated knowledge of TESL methodology.
- Ability to generate writing that demonstrates an advanced ability to analyze and synthesize
- Ability to conduct original research.
- Demonstrated knowledge of linguistic theories of second language acquisition.
- Demonstrated awareness of how cultural factors affect second language acquisition.
About This Degree
Students living in states bordering Arkansas receive in-state tuition.
Financial Aid is available for those who qualify. The Arkansas Tech University school code to use on the FAFSA is 001089.
- Financial Aid
- Payment Plan
- Graduate Assistantships
You could work as a(n):
- Secondary and post-secondary teacher
- ESOL Program Coordinator
- Teacher for intensive English programs associated with universities
- Teacher English at community colleges
Alumni of our program work at:
- Graduates are employed as teachers and administrators in school districts across the state of Arkansas and in community colleges.
View the links below to better understand the courses, the course timeline, and who your faculty will be when you enroll as an ATU student.
Credentials that stack with this degree:
- Tech's M.A. in English with TESL is an excellent foundation for doctoral work in English, TESOL, linguistics, cultural studies or composition and rhetoric.
Point of Pride
M.A. English graduates have been admitted to doctoral programs at the University of Arkansas, Oklahoma State University, Louisiana State, the State University of New York at-Buffalo and Texas A & M-Kingsville. Several Creative Writing graduates have published poetry, fiction and nonfiction.