- Eligible students must be nominated by their schools to attend Arkansas Governor’s School (AGS). The FIRST step for students interested in attending is to contact their school counselor to get nominated. Students cannot start the application process until they are nominated by their school and receive an email from AGS with a nomination link.
- Click here for the AGS student recruitment video. Counselors should feel free to share this with prospective students.
- Please check the Eligibility Requirements before nominating/applying.
- Students must be willing to commit to attend the entire session. Students who would like to participate in other programs or activities that run concurrent to AGS should not apply. Session dates: July 5-August 1, 2020
This link is for school personnel wanting to get started with the nomination process. See instructions below. NOT for student use! Students must contact their school to get nominated.
This link is for students or school personnel who have already set up an account. See instructions below.
Important Student Nomination/Application Dates
- Nomination/Application accepted beginning October 1, 2019
- Student application materials due January 21, 2020 - Deadline extended to Jan. 24, 2020 11:59 pm due to the winter weather in the state.
- Teacher Recommendation Forms, School Recommendation Form, and transcript due February 12, 2020
- Selection results will be emailed to schools and applicants by March 15, 2020
- Attendance confirmation due May 1, 2020
- The first step for completing an application is the school nomination. School personnel need to click on the "Create a New Nominator Account" link above to nominate their students. Detailed instructions for the online nomination process can be found by clicking on this link - School Nomination Instructions.
- Nominated students will receive an email with a link to the application. Students that are interested in being nominated need to contact their school counselor or GT coordinator. Once students have set up an account through the nomination email, they can click on the "Login to AGS Application Portal" to return to the application process.
- The following items will be required during the student application process.
- General biographical information
- First and second choice of content area for application (Choral Music, Cybersecurity, Drama, English/Language Arts, Instrumental Music, Mathematics, Natural Science, Social Science, and Visual Arts). Students can submit an application in one or two content areas but students will only attend AGS in one content area. Submitting a second choice can increase the odds of getting accepted but students need to be prepared to attend in either area.
- Significant achievements, awards, or accomplishments in the past two years
- School/community projects in which you have participated that demonstrate your commitment to a task
- Student essay (Up to 4500 characters)
- Essay for each content area about why you chose that area (Up to 3000 characters)
- Name and email address of a teacher for each content area to complete a recommendation
- Audition video for students applying in Choral Music, Drama, Instrumental Music, or Visual Arts. Instructions for preparing the audition can be found here.
- Schools will upload a completed School Recommendation Form and transcript for each student nominated. These items can be submitted at the nomination site above. School Recommendation Form and transcript will need to be submitted by Wed. Feb. 12 to be considered by the selection committee.
- Teachers chosen for recommendation will receive an email with a link for submission of the Teacher Recommendation Form. The email to teachers will be sent as soon as the student has completed the application and has submitted it. Teacher Recommendation forms will need to be submitted by Wed. Feb. 12 to be considered by the selection committee.
- Schools can monitor the progress of the student applications at the nomination site above.
- All student applications must be received by January 24, 2020 to be considered by the selection committee. Teacher Recommendation Forms, School Recommendation Forms, and transcripts must be received by February 12, 2020.