Tax Year 2017: Information for 
International Students

As an international student studying at Arkansas Tech University, it is important for you to know that it is the responsibility of each person in the US to fill out the correct income tax return forms and to report those forms to the US Internal Revenue Service (IRS). These forms tell the IRS what income was earned and how much tax should be paid. You will commonly hear this process being referred to as "filing your taxes."

Income tax forms must be filled out and sent to the IRS on/before April 17, 2018. Students who earned income must also report their earnings to the State of Arkansas using form AR 1000S. International students who did not receive wages as an employee must only file tax form 8843. It is important to note that ALL students must complete a tax form, whether you worked or earned a scholarship/fellowship or not.

Tech has purchased a license agreement so that you can use Windstar Tax Prep, tax preparation software designed especially for international students, to prepare your US income tax return. The information provided in this page is intended to serve as a guide for you. Please do not substitute the information below for legal tax advice. It is only meant to assist you in the process of completing your tax forms correctly.

What if I DID NOT work in 2017?

If you DID NOT work OR earn any money (other than bank interest) in 2017, you will need to complete:

FEDERAL FORMS: Forms and instructions are available from the link below or in the International Student Services


STATE FORMS: No state forms are required to be filed


What if I DID work in 2017?

If you DID work in 2017 OR if you were taxed on a scholarship or fellowship awarded by Arkansas Tech University or other US entities and received a W-2 or 1042-S form, you will need to complete:


After creating the forms with the help of Windstar Tax Prep, print the forms, attach a copy of your W-2, and mail them to:

Department of the Treasury
Internal Revenue Service Center
Austin, TX 73301-0215


Link to instructions can be found at this website: AR1000S Instructions

Link to the form can be found at this website: AR1000S Full Year Resident Short Form Income Tax Return

After filling out the AR 1000S, print the forms, attach a copy of your W-2, and mail them.


* Non-Residents or Part-Year-Residents must file Form AR 1000NR. Download individual state income tax forms and instructions from the State of Arkansas website:


If you owe tax, include a check for the amount and mail to:

Arkansas State Income Tax
Po Box 2144
Little Rock, AR 72203-2144


If you are going to get a tax refund, mail the form to:

Arkansas State Income Tax
Po Box 1000
Little Rock, AR 72203-1000


WindstarTax Prep Sessions:

The International Student Services Office will have Windstar Tax Prep Session to guide international students in filling out their tax return forms.

Please sign up on our website to attend a session here:

The link above will also include session dates and times.