What is a Social Security Number?
- 9 digit numbers generally assigned to people who are authorized to work in the United States. (Example 995-35-1122)
- Used to report your earnings to the US government
DO I NEED A SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER?
- If you DO NOT plan to work while you study, then you DO NOT need a social security number
- If you DO plan to work while you study, then you DO need a social security number
WHEN CAN I APPLY FOR A SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER?
- You can apply 10 days after you enter the US.
- You must have a job offer BEFORE you can apply for a social security card.
HOW DO I APPLY FOR A SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER?
- Complete an Application for a Social Security Card. (Come by the IMSSO or go to http://www.ssa.gov/online/ss-5.pdf)
- Obtain a Certificate of On-Campus Employment Eligibility Form from the IMSSO
- Obtain a job offer letter from your employer.
WHERE DO I APPLY FOR A SOCIAL SECURITY CARD?
Social Security Administration Office
2708 East Parkway Drive
Russellville, AR 72802
Phone Number: (479)968-2762
What documents do I take to the Social Security Office?
- Application for Social Security Card
- Certificate of On-Campus Employment Eligibility Form from the IMSSO
- Job Offer Letter
- Current Visa
- Current Passport
- Current I-20
- Current I-94 Number
WHERE CAN I WORK?
- Students may work anywhere ON-CAMPUS
- Off-campus work is only allowed:
1. Internships CPT (Curricular Practical Training)
2. Economic Hardship **
3. During OPT (Optional Practical Training)
HOW MANY HOURS PER WEEK CAN I WORK?
- Students may work ON-CAMPUS up to 20 hours per week while school in session.
- During vacations and breaks, students may work ON-CAMPUS 28 hours per week, according to university policy.
** The application must be sent to the Department of Homeland Security with the assistance of the IMSSO