Faculty and Staff Well-Being Events
The ATU Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning is not only concerned with
the in-classroom experiences of educators, but also the out-of-classroom experiences. Here at the Faculty and Staff Well-Being events page we have compiled a list of events designed to help faculty and staff relax, grow,
and experience new things.
- Coffee and Calm: Fridays at 9:00am on Teams, beginning January 15 (led by Holly Ruth
- The Coffee and Calm group meets virtually Friday mornings at 9:00am on WebEx Teams for quiet, friendly conversation along with their morning coffee/tea/juice/what-have-you. To be added to the Team, email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org or join via https://eurl.io/#vbBNQeE_Y. Then on Friday mornings, click on the “Coffee and Calm” WebEx Team and press the green “Meet” button to join in from wherever you are!
- Meditation Series: Fridays at 2:00pm, beginning January 15 (led by Erin Clair and
Cindy Eisemann, contact email@example.com)
WebEx Link: https://atu.webex.com/atu/j.php?MTID=m249d1398fa29e347301f1cd7bdea2256
- Yoga Practice: every other Friday at 12:00pm, beginning January 22 (led by Cindy Eisemann;
WebEx link: https://atu.webex.com/atu/j.php?MTID=mf6f07bd5fcbfe05dfe718914acaf5b2f
- Yoga Philosophy: every other Friday at 12:00pm, beginning January 15 (led by Erin
Clair, contact firstname.lastname@example.org)
WebEx link: https://atu.webex.com/atu/j.php?MTID=m9949a424117861a1b81d88dce464aa94
- Walking Group: Wednesdays at 5:30am at Bona Dea, Rabbit Run entrance, beginning on January 13 (led by Robin Lasey, contact email@example.com).
Film Group (led by Nate Chapman, contact firstname.lastname@example.org)
WebEx link: https://atu.webex.com/atu/j.php?MTID=m328344ddd9c7ab00bf078dc32b4a4750
Tuesday, January 19th, 7:00pm: The Warriors
Tuesday, February 16th, 7:00pm: Heathers
Tuesday, March 23th, 7:00pm: El Mariachi
Tuesday, April 20th, 7:00pm: Friday
- Book Group (led by Erin Clair, contact email@example.com)
- Monday, January 25th, 2:30pm
WebEx link: https://atu.webex.com/atu/j.php?MTID=m41252412c46deca13455b8ba3a9f5230
Dear Committee Members by Julie Schumacher (ISBN 9780345807335)
“A funny and lacerating novel of academia written in the form of letters of recommendation . . . .Dear Committee Members isn’t really an academic novel, or even an academic satire. It’s a sincere exploration of the depths and breadths of human selfishness, and the contemporary American academy is simply the backdrop. . . .” —Slate
- February 15th, 2:30pm
WebEx link: https://atu.webex.com/atu/j.php?MTID=mcb139bb07db1e922324ef24b88e6c140
Stoner by John Williams (ISBN 9781590171998)
“It’s simply a novel about a guy who goes to college and became a teacher. But it’s one of the most fascinating things that you’ve ever come across.”—Tom Hanks, Time
- March 29th, 2:30pm
WebEx link: https://atu.webex.com/atu/j.php?MTID=m0ffa7abc5afd4cea2372b8e93ccd9466
Devotions by Mary Oliver (ISBN 9780399563263)
“In ‘Devotions: The Selected Poems of Mary Oliver’ (Penguin), one of our most beloved writers offers both the best of her work and a spiritual road map of sorts. Spanning more than 50 years and featuring more than 200 poems, the collection shows Oliver, in the early years, turning away from grief and finding in nature a ‘vast, incredible gift’ Over time, as she carefully observes and records, Oliver extols the beauty and complexity around her and reminds us of the interconnectedness of living. She also asks important questions, such as ‘have you ever dared to be happy/ ... have you ever dared to pray,’ and ‘Tell me, what it is you plan to do/ with your one wild and precious life?’[…] Perhaps more important, the luminous writing provides respite from our crazy world and demonstrates how mindfulness can define and transform a life, moment by moment, poem by poem.” —The Washington Post
- April 26th, 2:30pm
WebEx link: https://atu.webex.com/atu/j.php?MTID=mcfba7d0bda651822297e103ed656819a Straight Man: A Novel by Richard Russo (ISBN 9780375701900)
“In this uproarious new novel, Richard Russo performs his characteristic high-wire walk between hilarity and heartbreak. Russo's protagonist is William Henry Devereaux, Jr., the reluctant chairman of the English department of a badly underfunded college in the Pennsylvania rust belt. Devereaux's reluctance is partly rooted in his character--he is a born anarchist-- and partly in the fact that his department is more savagely divided than the Balkans.” —from the back cover of Straight Man
- Step Bet Challenge, beginning in February (led by Sarah Gordon and student Claire
Kerr). For details, contact Claire Kerr at firstname.lastname@example.org or Dr. Gordon at email@example.com.
StepBet is a workout program that uses money as the incentive to workout. In a 7-day week, one would have 4 active days, 2 power days and a rest day. StepBet uses whatever type of fitness band you use and calculates how many steps would be an active or power day by looking at past weeks. Power day is generally a mile further than an active day. If you do not get both power days, or use more than one rest day, you are eliminated from winning the pool of money from all the participants. At the end of the challenge, whoever remains splits the pot.
StepBet is an app available on the App Store. Once downloaded, create an account and then search for the game called “ATU.” The cost to join the game for each person will be $30 (which you can win back, plus some, if you meet your step challenge!). The game will run from February 1st to February 28th.
- Gratitude Project (led by V. Carole Smith). For details about this project, contact Dr. Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Working Parents Virtual Coffee Club. Chat and support group on WebEx Teams for ATU working parents.(led by Jessica Mongeon). Contact Prof. Mongeon (email@example.com) or Erin Clair (firstname.lastname@example.org) to be added to the Team.
- Workshop on Faculty Well-Being and Academia: Tuesday, January 26 at 4:00pm (led by
Erica Wondolowski and Erin Clair, contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org)
WebEx link: https://atu.webex.com/atu/j.php?MTID=m7878bf76672b13c8228462f36b3e1450
- Workshop on the Enneagram: February 9 at 5:30pm (5:00pm for people with no knowledge
of the Enneagram) (led by Beth Gray, contact email@example.com)
WebEx link: https://atu.webex.com/atu/j.php?MTID=md3fd940e464e5ef7577ecf9c8443c4c0
Discussion on Improving the Full Professor Experience: Tuesday, March 2 at 4:00pm For details, contact co-hosts Sandy Smith (firstname.lastname@example.org), Newton Hilliard (email@example.com), or David Eshelman (firstname.lastname@example.org). WebEx link: https://atu.webex.com/atu/j.php?MTID=m6f4039d6abe58d0d7827be539ff8ddc8
- Workshop on Compassionate Listening: March 11 at 2:00pm (led by Alexis Johnson, contact
WebEx link: https://atu.webex.com/atu/j.php?MTID=mbb6b3574f1c6dfd2e350739106a933ac
- Well-Being Podcast Discussion: April 6 at 4:00pm (led by Erin Clair, contact email@example.com)
WebEx link: https://atu.webex.com/atu/j.php?MTID=m5cc4a157eb0bc2f1a6a9ac40f92395e0
Choose a podcast from the list below, listen to one of more episodes, and we’ll discuss the value of what we learned to our work and personal lives, as well of those of our students.
Finding Humor in UnFunny Times: Tuesday, April 13 at 4:00 pm, Penny Wilmering, Professor and Director of Rehabilitation Science
This talk and discussion by Penny Wilmering focuses on research into humor as a strategy during difficult times. For more information, contact Dr. Wilmering at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Webex Link: https://atu.webex.com/atu/j.php?MTID=m2cc0d1c8e3de9ecfe37da3f99db38081
Cleaning Up the Mental Mess with Dr. Caroline Leaf - http://podcast.drleaf.com/
The Brain Warrior's Way Podcast - https://brainwarriorswaypodcast.com/episodes/
Terrible, Thanks for Asking Podcast - https://www.apmpodcasts.org/ttfa/
Therapy for Black Girls - https://www.therapyforblackgirls.com/podcast/
Anxiety Slayer with Shann and Ananga - https://anxietyslayer.podbean.com/
Mental Health Book Club Podcast - https://www.mentalhealthbookclub.com/
Tiny Leaps, Big Changes | Gregg Clunis - https://anchor.fm/tinyleaps
Food Psych - https://christyharrison.com/foodpsych
The Model Health Show - https://themodelhealthshow.com/podcasts/
Hidden Brain - https://www.npr.org/series/423302056/hidden-brain