In-State Students

A student shall be classified as an in-state student for fee payment purposes at Arkansas Tech if he or she is a bona fide domiciliary of Arkansas or a contiguous state (specifically, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, Tennessee, or Texas) and has resided in the state for at least six consecutive months prior to the beginning of the semester or term for which the fees are to paid. Bona Fide Arkansas domiciliary means that Arkansas is the legal home and place of permanent living of the student for all purposes.

Out-of-State Students

A student who is residing in Arkansas primarily for the purpose of attending school and not for the purpose of establishing in good faith a true, fixed and permanent home. Continued presence in Arkansas during vacation periods or during a period when not enrolled, where any one such period does not extend for at least six months, shall not justify reclassification to an in-state student status. Mere physical presence in the state alone is insufficient for establishing residency.

International Students

Any student who is not a United States citizen or a permanent resident of the United States is considered an international student. International students are subject to out-of-state tuition rates and an international student services fee as well as additional admission requirements.

Students with nonimmigrant visas, such as F-1, J-1, TN, L-1, or H-1B, cannot accrue residency in any way. Mere physical presence doesn’t accrue residency or resident status because the visa type makes it incapable of establishing permanent residency. Therefore, international students cannot apply for a reclassification of in-state residency for tuition purposes.  

Military Personnel, Veterans, and Dependents

Regardless of residence, Arkansas Tech University shall classify a student as in-state or resident for the purpose of tuition and fees applicable for all programs of study, including distance learning programs, if the student is a:

For more information regarding this policy please contact the Office of Veteran Services.

Requirements for Reclassification

Requirements for Reclassification

For Students Under the Age of 21

For Students Over the Age of 21

Application for In-State Residency

Application for In-State Residency

Please keep these guidelines in mind when considering petitioning for reclassification as an Arkansas resident:

More Information

For more information, please refer to the Out-Of-State Residence Status for Tuition and Fee Purposes section of the Academic Catalog.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Yes. An out-of-state waiver is awarded for students from neighboring states (specifically, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, Tennessee, or Texas).

Good faith acts are actions taken towards becoming a permanent Arkansas resident. Proof of these acts are required to demonstrate residency for re-classification. For reclassification the documentation must be valid at least 6 months. Here is the list of acceptable state issued documents that are used for good faith acts:

  • Arkansas Driver’s License or Arkansas State Issued ID Card (bearing the address where you reside, post office boxes are not acceptable)
  • Arkansas Vehicle Registration
  • Arkansas Voter’s Registration
  • Federal Tax Return with Arkansas listed as state of residence
  • Assessment of real property from previous year (e.g. real estate)
  • Assessment of personal property from previous year (e.g. vehicle, boat, etc)
  • Statement from employer indicating date for which you began employment, length of service, and address where you reside
  • Lease, which includes student’s name, date span of six month minimum, and address where you reside
  • Utility bills, dates to cover the six months immediately prior to the start of the semester indicating the student’s permanent address
No, unless they are a resident of a state bordering Arkansas (see first question). If a student is under 21 years of age and unmarried, that student cannot be considered a resident of Arkansas for tuition and fee purposes unless one of the parents is a legal resident of the state.

The single fact of living in Arkansas for six months or attending the University does not automatically make you eligible for reclassification. You will need to provide evidence that your (or your parents if you are under the age of 21) residence in Arkansas is of a permanent nature for reclassification consideration.

No. The student on a temporary or nonimmigrant visa, such as F-1, J-1, TN, L-1, or H-1B will be classified as an international student and will pay out-of-state tuition and fees.

The application and supporting documentation must be received by the Office of the Registrar no later than the 11th class day for the term in which you are requesting reclassification. For the summer terms, the deadline is the 5th class day. Applications submitted after the deadline will be considered for the following term.