UNDERGRADUATE RESEARCH scholars awards
The Arkansas Tech University Undergraduate Research Office invites applications for funds to support Undergraduate Research Scholars (URS) for the 2020-2021 academic year. Funding for URS includes up to $1,500 in salary support, as well as up to $1000 in project support (including supplies and travel), for a maximum budget of $2,500. Due to limitations in available funding, it is expected that competition will be strong for these grants.
Following is a description of the support available and application process. Please note that the application deadline has been extended; applications should be submitted to Dr. Nathaniel Chapman and the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs no later than October 26. Please e-mail email@example.com if there are questions.
UNDERGRADUATE RESEARCH Scholars
Applications for URS in ALL academic disciplines will be considered for funding. Applications may focus on investigation of questions of interest to the faculty mentor. URS awards are subject to the following conditions.
- URS applicants are required to have a faculty mentor with an appropriate project supported by the proposal budget.
A mentoring plan will be required as a component of the proposal.
- URS will present their results in the Arkansas Tech University Senior Honors and Student
Research Symposium (student presentations are preferred). This will serve as a forum
for presentation and discussion of research and dissemination of results.
- For the 2020-2021 grant cycle, grants will extend from the date of the award (anticipated
as early as October 30) to May 11, 2021.
- A maximum of $2,500 is anticipated for the URS awards. Allowances are as follows:
non-work study student stipends - $1,500; supplies $400 - $800; and travel $100 -
$700*. After the URS award is approved, budget transfers between different categories
will not be allowed. Therefore, the proposal's budget should be prepared according
to the needs in each category. All requisitions for items previously approved on the
grant application must be done no later than April 1, 2021.
*All travel must be in accordance with current ATU policies in effect during the grant period and approved by the department head, dean, and VP.
- A final report containing research results will be submitted to the Undergraduate
Research Office by June 1, 2021.
URS must be mentored by a faculty member. All full time students are eligible to apply. URS awards are subject to the following conditions:
- Recipients are expected to perform faculty mentored research; assist faculty mentors
in preparation of reports, papers, proposals, and presentations; make a presentation
at the on-campus Senior Honors and Student Research Symposium and other appropriate
- Students must have completed a minimum of forty-five university credit hours and have
a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Student stipends are limited to $1,500 or less per student. Student compensation will be through the non-work study budget category.
An URS Award review committee consisting of ATU faculty and administrators will use the following criteria to evaluate faculty research proposals.
- Quality of the student applicant as measured by GPA and potential/plans for graduate
education and a research career.
- Scientific or academic merit of the proposed research.
- Appropriateness of the scope of the proposed activity in the grant period.
Faculty planning to submit proposals are asked to download the cover page and proposal outline from the following link.
Section I. Project Description (not exceeding six pages)
1. Rationale for the Project
2. Activities to be Completed
3. Student Mentoring by Faculty Member (explain the mentoring plan, including a brief schedule)
4. Written Outputs (agree to submit a final report and mention other plans to present, publish and submit a grant proposal for external funding)
5. URS statement on why he or she is deserving of the award and his or her interests and plans for graduate education and a research career
Section II. Budget Justification
Section III. Faculty resume not exceeding three pages.
Student resume not exceeding three pages.
For additional information, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
UnderGraduate Research Grant Committee
Nathaniel Chapman, Director
|Jessica Young, Assistant Director
(479) 964-0583 ext. 3006
(479) 964-0583 ext. 2452
| Jennifer Saxton
(479) 964-0583 ext. 2602