Undergraduate Research Grants
The Arkansas Tech University Undergraduate Research Office invites applications for funds to support undergraduate research for the 2018-2019 academic year. For 2018-2019 academic year, a total of $30,000 in internal funds is anticipated to be available to the ATU Undergraduate Research Office to fund up to 15 undergraduate research proposals. The maximum budget allowed for each proposal will be $2,000-3,000.
Following is a description of the support available and application process. Applications should be submitted to Dr. Mostafa Hemmati no later than August 24, 2018. Please e-mail email@example.com if there are questions.
Research proposals in ALL academic disciplines will be considered for funding. Proposals may focus on investigation of questions of interest to the faculty member. Undergraduate research grants are subject to the following conditions.
1. Faculty are expected to have one or two students applying for stipends (stipends are required to be handled as student labor) at the same time. Faculty will serve as mentor for the selected student(s).
2. Individuals receiving UR funds will present their results in the Arkansas Tech University Senior Honors and Student Research Symposium (student presentations are preferred). This will serve as a forum for presentation and discussion of research and dissemination of results.
3. Grants will extend from the date of the award (approximately September 26) to May 11 of the next calendar year.
4. A Maximum of $2,000 - $3,000 is anticipated for each grant. Allowances are as follows: non-work study for student stipends - $1,500; supplies $400 - $800; and travel $100 - $700. After the grant proposal is approved, budget transfers between different categories will not be allowed. Therefore, the proposal's budget should be prepared according to the needs in each category. All requisitions for items previously approved on the grant application must be done no later than April 1, 2019.
5. A final report containing research results will be submitted to the Undergraduate Research Office by June 1, 2019.
Students who have an interest in these stipends must be sponsored by a faculty member applying for an undergraduate research grant. All full time students are eligible to apply. Student grant awards are subject to the following conditions:
1. Recipients are expected to perform mentored reseach; assist mentors in preparation of reports, papers, proposals, and presentations; make a presentation at the on-campus Senior Honors and Student Research Symposium and other appropriate meetings.
2. Students with cumulative grade point of 3.00 or above will be given first consideration in making a grant award.
3. Students must have completed a minimum of fifty university credit hours.
4. Student grant awards are limited to $1,500 or less per student. Student compensation will be through the non-work study budget category.
A proposal review committee consisting of ATU faculty and administrators will use the following criteria to evaluate faculty research proposals.
1. Scientific or academic merit of the proposed research.
2. Appropriateness of the scope of the proposed activity in the grant period.
3. Perceived potential for further research and funding from other sources after the end of the grant period. A statement describing plan for submitting a grant proposal for external funding should be included in the proposal.
Faculty planning to submit proposals are asked to download the cover page and proposal outline from the following link.
Arkansas Tech University Undergraduate Research Office
Section I. Project Description (not exceeding six pages)
1. Rationale for the Project
2. Activities to be Completed
3. Student Mentoring (explain what students will do for this project)
4. Written Outputs (agree to submit a final report and mention other plans to present, publish and submit a grant proposal for external funding)
5. Course Content Enhancements
Section II. Gantt Chart
Section III. Budget Justification
Section IV. Faculty resume not exceeding three pages, student resume, and a two-page unofficial copy of the student transcript.
For additional information, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.