Health Information Technology
Technical Certificate | Ozark Campus | In-Person
The Health Information Technology (HIT) program provides students with the skills and competencies in health data management, medical coding and billing, information systems, and clinical workflow critical to function in an electronic environment.
Hands-on Learning Opportunities
- Virtual labs and Professional Practical Experience (Internships) which will include working with medical billing, medical coding and electronic health records.
Skills You Will Learn
- Accurately record and collect data and document findings
- Analytical thinking skills.
- Apply a code of ethics specific to health information technology.
- Assess, supervise and provide teaching to other personnel.
- Critical thinking skills.
- Demonstrate effective oral and written communication.
- Effectively utilize all stages of health information (assessment, health information process, planning, implementation and evaluation).
- Soft communication skills.
About This Degree
Students living in states bordering Arkansas receive in-state tuition.
Financial Aid is available for those who qualify. The Arkansas Tech University school
code to use on the FAFSA is 001089.
The AR Futures grant could cover your expenses for this credential. Check credential eligibility.
You could work as a(n):
- Data Analyst
- Medical billing specialist
- Medical coder
- Medical compliance specialist
Alumni of our program work at:
- Agera Medical Billing & Management
- Johnson Regional Hospital
- Mercy Hospital
- Thompson Chiropractic Clinic
View the links below to better understand the courses, the course timeline, and who your faculty will be when you enroll as an ATU student.
Credentials that stack with this degree:
- Associate of Applied Science in Health Information Technology
- Bachelor of Applied Science
- Bachelor of Professional Studies
- Bachelor of Science Registered Health Information Administrator
Point of Pride
Our students 2018/19 HIT students who sat for the RHIT exam had a 100% pass rate.
Additional Program Information
Students will learn the basic concepts and functions of the origin, use, content, and format of the health record; gain an understanding of the legal and ethical responsibilities of a health care facility; and gain an understanding of the electronic medical record and its use in the health care facility.
This program will provide students with the skills necessary to sit for the national exam for certification as a Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT).
With the nearly universal implementation of electronic medical records and communications, this program will provide increased employment opportunities in the health care records industry.
The Health Information Technology Associate degree program at Arkansas Tech University-Ozark Campus is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education(CAHIIM), 233 N Michigan Avenue, 21st Floor, Chicago, IL 60601-5800; telephone: (312) 233-1100. http://www.cahiim.org.
Student Achievement Outcomes
Graduation Rate: 100%
Employment Rate: 100%
Student Satisfaction Rate: 100%
(479) 508-8500 ext. 6503
Health Sciences and Wellness
(479) 508-8500 ext. 6300
Health Sciences and Wellness
(479) 508-8500 ext. 6301