Sexual Violence Prevention
Avoiding Dangerous Situations
- Be aware of your surroundings. Knowing where you are and who is around you may help
you find a way to get out of a bad situation.
- Try to avoid isolated areas. It is more difficult to get help if no one is around.
- Walk with purpose. Even if you don’t know where you are going, act like you do.
- Trust your instincts. If a situation or location feels unsafe or uncomfortable, it
probably isn’t the best place to be.
- Try not to load yourself down with packages or bags as this can make you appear more
- Make sure your cell phone is with you and charged.
- Don’t allow yourself to be isolated with someone you don’t trust or someone you don’t
- Avoid putting music headphones in both ears so that you can be more aware of your surroundings, especially if you are walking alone.
Social Situations and Safety
- When you go to a social gathering, go with a group of friends.
- Trust your instincts.
- Don’t leave your drink unattended while talking, dancing, using the restroom, or making
a phone call. If you’ve left your drink alone, just get a new one.
- Watch out for your friends, and vice versa.