ATU's Americorps vista program
As part of our initiative to create unique, educational opportunities, CEAO oversees the AmeriCorps VISTA program.
What is AmeriCorps VISTA program? Find that information here.
What is it like to be a VISTA member? Find out about life as a VISTA member here.
What are the eligibility requirements?
- Be 18 years or older (no upper age limit)
- Pass a national service criminal history check
- Hold one of the following citizenship or legal residency statuses: US citizen, US National, Lawful Permanent Resident (i.e. Green Card status), and persons legally residing within a state. Examples of persons legally residing within a state may include those holding the following classifications: refugee, asylee, temporary protected status throughout VISTA service, and holding Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) status.
What is the position I am applying for and what will I be doing? There are FIVE, full-time AmeriCorps VISTA opportunities at ATU for a one year commitment. Four of these positions have the same job titles and duties, but are location specific (Pope County, Johnson County, Yell County, and Franklin and Logan Counties). These positions will have work space on ATU campus, but travel to these counties will be required. The 5th VISTA position is as an assistant to CEAO Director, Julie Mikles-Schluterman. This 5th position will assist with the establishment of CEAO’s AmeriCorps program and the organization of other four VISTA members.
The broad goal of ATU’s AmeriCorps VISTA program is to improve the college preparedness of students in the five-county target populations. In the first year of this program, we plan to begin by identifying college preparedness/success initiatives that K-12 school systems in the target area are already trying and perform an evaluation and needs assessment of each. The four VISTAs will be working in those school systems to identify and perform the evaluations and assessments. Here you can find a link to the service opportunity listings for ATU.
What are the benefits of serving as an AmeriCorps VISTA member?
- Living Allowance
- Professional Development Training
- Non-Competitive Eligibility (NCE)
- End of Service Award
Information about each of these can be found of the bottom of this page.
I am interested. What do I do next?
- Email the following information to Dr. Julie Mikles-Schluterman: name, IF former ATU student, include Student T#, education, IF student, expected semester and year of graduation, contact information
- You will need to apply via the AmeriCorps VISTA portal. Found here. This process involves first creating an AmeriCorps VISTA profile, searching AmeriCorps VISTA Listings to find the ATU opportunities, and then applying for that position.
- If selected for an interview, you will be contacted by Dr. Mikles-Schluterman via email.
- If chosen following interview, start date is June 10th which begins with a training workshop on the ATU campus.