Passports and Visas


       Passports and Visas




When studying outside of the U.S., a U.S. passport is required. It is important to begin the process early.

First time Applicants
The current United States passport application requires a true certified copy of your birth certificate, two identical passport photos, $145.00 and a personal ID. For further instructions on obtaining a passport, go to or call the government hotline at 1.800.688.9889. 

***Current passport processing times are significantly delayed; routine processing can now take up to 18 weeks.  Everyone applying for a study abroad program in spring 2022 is encouraged to apply for a passport immediately if you don't already have one, and to consider purchasing expedited service, which involves an additional $60 fee - but the peace of mind will be priceless.  Remember, if you do not have your passport by the time of departure, you won't be able to participate in your program, and there is nothing we can do about it!  Don't wait until it's too late!***

To apply for, renew, or replace a passport you must supply the following documents:

  • A Certified Copy of your Birth Certificate– A photocopy will not suffice, so if you do not have access to your original certificate, a certified copy can be ordered through the Arkansas Department of Health. This process can take two weeks plus delivery time and costs $12, so plan ahead.
  • Application Form for a US Passport– The applicable form depends on your current status (first time application, renewal, correction, etc.) so choose accordingly. See the Bureau of Consular Affairs website for
  • Two Passport Photographs– Passport photos have to follow specific requirements. View those requirements here. Walgreens, located at 1100 E Main, takes passport photographs, as well as the UPS Store at 608 W Parkway, but if you are obtaining your passport at the United States Postal Service, they will take your photo for an additional fee.
  • Proper Identification– The documentation will depend on the form you use, but can include: a previous US passport, a certificate of naturalization or citizenship, a valid driver’s license, etc. You’ll need to submit a photocopy of your identification, front and back, in black ink on 8 ½ by 11-inch paper. It must be legible and clear.

In order to fill out the passport application form, you will need detailed information including your father’s and mother’s birthdates, their places of birth, their address, and the phone number of a person to be contacted in case of an emergency. You can find this form, and other information on the official passport website at This website also has a search engine to find other passport acceptance facilities across the U.S.

Expedited passport services take two-three weeks, and there is an additional $60.00 fee, plus any overnight delivery costs.



Many countries require you to have a visa before entering the country. A visa is official permission to enter a country and stay for a determined period of time. You must have a valid passport to apply for a visa. The visa stamp for a given country will be placed in your actual passport.

ATU Programs
Study Abroad Coordinator, Gabriele Haulmark, can help students with the visa process to the ATU programs. 

Affiliate Programs
Affiliate program providers and other outside universities will provide visa information to you once you have been accepted. It is essential that you follow all visa instructions as outlined and apply in a timely manner.

IMPORTANT: Until you have received your visa, you are advised to refrain from making international travel plans in the months preceding your study abroad semester.