Mask & Face Covering Recommendations
COVID-19 is spread through respiratory droplets such as when a person coughs, sneezes, or even when speaking. Maintaining 6 feet between you and any other persons is our best protection against COVID-19 and wearing a face mask adds another layer of protection.
Many people that have been infected with COVID-19 are unaware because they do not have noticeable symptoms.
Putting on your face mask:
- Wash your hands before putting on your face covering
- Put it over your nose and mouth and secure it under your chin
- Try to fit it snugly against the sides of your face
- Make sure you can breathe easily
Taking off your face mask:
- Untie the strings behind your head or stretch the ear loops
- Handle only by the ear loops or ties
- Fold outside corners together
- Place covering in the washing machine
- Be careful not to touch your eyes, nose, and mouth when removing and wash hands immediately after removing
Do’s and Don’ts:
- Do wear a face mask to help protect others in case you are infected but don’t have symptoms
- Do wear your mask in public settings, especially when other social distancing measures
are difficult to maintain
- Do wash your hands prior to putting on or removing your mask
- Do own more than one mask. Wash and dry masks after every use.
- Don’t put the mask around your neck or on your forehead
- Don’t touch the mask, and if you do, wash your hands
- Don’t lay your mask down on any surface that could be contaminated
Mask & Face Coverings policy
Face coverings will be required in all Arkansas Tech University facilities effective Monday, July 27. The only exception is for faculty and staff members who are alone, in their office and with the door closed. Otherwise, any individual in any ATU building is required to wear a face covering.
This revised policy removes any ambiguity and is another step in our commitment to limit the spread of COVID-19. Widespread scientific evidence clearly states that face coverings are an essential aspect of any pandemic mitigation strategy. As a university that is committed to data-driven decisions, expanding the face covering requirement is consistent with our institutional ethos. It’s also the right thing to do as we work to protect not only ourselves, but each other.
As one aspect of the social contract for our collective well-being during the pandemic, students who do not comply with the face coverings policy will be subject to appropriate student conduct procedures as described in the student handbook. The ATU COVID-19 task force and the ATU Office of Human Resources are working with the ATU Faculty Senate and the ATU Staff Senate to finalize procedure recommendations for any cases of ATU employee non-compliance that might occur. These procedures will be consistent with existing handbooks for faculty and staff, and they will be communicated to our university community as soon as they are finalized.
- If you are unable to provide your own face mask, contact the ATU Health and Wellness
Center at (479) 968-0329.
- If you have concerns that you will be unable to wear a mask due to medical conditions or physical impairments or have concerns about communication due to hearing loss, please contact ATU Disability Services at (479) 968-0302.