Leave of Absence Policy
Arkansas Governor’s School is state funded, highly competitive, and invested in fostering a very strong sense of community among its participants. Therefore, it is inappropriate for students who have accepted a place at AGS to take temporary leaves from the program. Time away from the program has an detrimental effect on student participation, both for the individual and for the Governor’s School community at large. We know that gifted and talented students will have many quality opportunities during the summer. Although we hope that students invited to attend AGS will accept our invitation to attend for the full four weeks, we understand that other choices are available and difficult decisions must be made. For students desiring to take advantage of other opportunities that coincide with AGS, students should decline the AGS invitation which will allow another student to be invited to benefit from the entire program.
Students are expected to participate in all classes and activities. Failure to participate will result in removal from the program. Temporary leaves will be granted for certain situations and only these situations. Requests for special leaves of absence, except in the case of emergencies, must be made in writing at least one (1) week in advance and include explicit justification for the leave. Documentation may be requested to verify listed justification. A leave may be granted for the following situations:
- personal or family emergencies
- medical reasons
- weddings of immediate family members
- Students are allowed to be checked out by an authorized person and leave campus on Sundays from 8:00 am to 6:00 pm.
- In addition, students are allowed to be checked out by an authorized person and leave campus for one 24-hour period during the session. This is intended to give students a chance to participate in important senior year activities such as senior pictures, etc.
- Requests for a leave of absence or a 24-hour leave must be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org at least one week in advance. It is not necessary to request permission to leave campus on Sundays (8 am to 6 pm).
- The student cannot miss more than 2 class days. (Leaves granted for medical reasons may not exceed a total of five (5) class days.)
- The leave cannot be during the first 3 days or the last 3 days of the program.
- No student may be granted more than one leave of absence.
- While taking the ACT is an important activity, there are many opportunities to take it throughout the year. There is only one opportunity to attend AGS. We strongly recommend that students do not miss AGS activities to take the ACT in July.
- Athletic practices and competitions, dance/cheerleading practices and auditions, and band practices are examples that do not qualify for a leave of absence but would qualify for a 24-hour leave.