Area II Faculty Job Advertisement
Area II Nature of Knowledge – (We anticipate that 9-11 positions will be available depending on enrollment).
Educators in all Arkansas public and private schools as well as all Arkansas institutions of higher education and all state directors of gifted programs are invited to apply for faculty positions.
Area II Faculty will collaborate with the Area II Coordinator in developing and delivering Area II curriculum.
Area II focuses on the nature of knowledge and epistemology. Typically, Area II instructors have backgrounds in philosophy, history, the behavioral sciences, English, Communications, and Education; however, anyone with a background in the traditional arts and sciences is encouraged to apply. Area II instructors will facilitate time-tested Governor’s School discussions, including the Allegory of the Cave, Reality Checklist, Logical Fallacies, Lifeboat Ethics, and The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas. They will also develop student critical thinking skills and lead examinations of subjects introduced by our weekly impact speakers and movies. Area II instructors will also help students develop a deeper, more critical understanding of community. In thinking about human networks and the various layers of interconnection in a new way, students will gain in skill and confidence as they address the philosophical issues impacting their lives.
- Extensive knowledge of subject area.
- Familiarity with twentieth and twenty-first century theories, concepts, and practices in area of expertise.
- Ability to communicate effectively with high school students of high potential.
- Research and/or teaching interests in epistemology.
- Research and/or teaching interests in cybernetics, social media and/or artificial intelligence.
- Experience with Socratic teaching methods.
- Experience in creative course development, leadership training, and/or gifted and talented education.
Applicants should submit an application cover sheet (see Appendix A), a letter of application describing qualifications, curriculum ideas, and teaching style, a current curriculum vitae, and a list of three references. The application deadline is January 1, 2022.