Arkansas Tech Advocates strive to educate ourselves and our university community on issues of importance.
Our goal is to share knowledge and skills needed for individuals to be effective advocates at the community, state, regional and national levels. Our membership includes current students, faculty, staff and alumni.
What is Advocacy?
Advocacy is speaking up and drawing the attention of the community to a critical issue.
Learning to effectively advocate is a powerful skill that can specifically impact student learning and academic resources. Advocacy can affect the quality of available academic resources, facilities and overall college affordability. Tuition and fee increases are often necessitated based on available funding.
Research shows that institutions of higher education with an advocacy function can unify their voices and influence others to make a change.
Access to Education
Nationwide, regional comprehensive universities educate half of all school teachers, 26% of all veterans receiving GI benefits and 27% of active-duty service members. They also grant 30% of all degrees nationwide.
How do I Become an ATU Advocate?
You can join the advocate list and access community advocacy resources.
Stay up to date on the latest training and events.
Community Advocacy Resources
- Learn about my local school board
- Get engaged with my local chamber of commerce
- Contact my local officials: City Officials | Russellville, AR - Official Website
- Contact county officials: County Judge | Pope County Arkansas
- Learn more about my local utilities: Welcome To Russellville Utilities
- Local non-profits: River Valley Nonprofits | Arkansas Tech University
- Learn about the Russellville community
- Learn about Arkansas Governor Asa Hutchinson
- Find My Legislator
- How can I look up laws or proposed bills: Home Page | Arkansas State Legislature
- Get Engaged with Law Enforcement
- How do I register to vote: Arkansas Secretary of State
- Engage with the state Attorney General's Office: Home | Arkansas Attorney General
- Find my U.S. Representatives: Elected Officials | USAGov
- Find federal grant opportunities: OCS Programs | The Administration for Children and Families
About Arkansas Tech University
Arkansas Tech University is a public institution of higher education offering credentials at the certificate, associate, baccalaureate, master, educational specialist and doctoral levels. It was founded in 1909 as the Second District Agricultural School.
The name of the institution was changed to Arkansas Polytechnic College in 1925 and Arkansas Tech University in 1976. The former Arkansas Valley Technical Institute, now known as ATU-Ozark Campus, joined ATU in 2003.
Adopted October 19, 2016
Arkansas Tech University: where students succeed, innovation thrives, and communities flourish.
Adopted October 19, 2016
Arkansas Tech University is dedicated to student success, access, and excellence as a responsive campus community providing opportunities for progressive intellectual development and civic engagement. Embracing and expanding upon its technological traditions, Tech inspires and empowers members of the community to achieve their goals while striving for the betterment of Arkansas, the nation, and the world.
UNIVERSITY STRATEGIC PLAN
Adopted in 2016, the ATU strategic plan is designed to chart the course for the university’s future. Updates and progress
are carefully documented.
TECH BY THE NUMBERS
Students attending for 10 consecutive years
ATU graduates who reside and work in Arkansas
ATU students who are from Arkansas
In Arkansas for increasing African American enrollment
More than half of ATU students report as first-generation college studets
Third largest university in Arkansas
Will you join us?
Individuals seeking to become an Arkansas Tech Advocate need only have a passion for education and be willing to speak up for their cause. This human connection can help others understand the roles, needs and goals of civic engagement.
Have questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org, and we’ll do our best to support you in sharing the mission of ATU.