What You Will Learn
What Is The Physics Education Degree?
The Bachelor of Science in Physics Education is housed within the College of Education
and the College of Natural and Health Sciences. The degree prepares students to teach
Physical Science and Physics in grades 7 through 12. The degree leads to a career
of great significance with graduates serving a critical role in society while they
empower youth to become successful in a wide variety of endeavors.
What Will I Learn In This Program?
- Fundamental understanding of nature in terms of motion, forces, energy, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, quantum mechanics and relativity.
- Best practices in teaching determined by science education research.
- Course, lesson and laboratory design.
- Classroom management.
What Courses Will I Take?
The Academic Advising Center has created maps that are term-by-term sample course schedules based on the current Undergraduate Catalog. On each Degree Map, the milestones listed to the right of each term are designed to keep students on track to graduate in four years.
What Resources Are Available To Me?
- National Science Teachers Association
- National Association for Research in Science Teaching
- National Earth Science Teachers Association
- National Association of Geoscience Teachers
- The Geological Society of America
Additional resources specifically for Tech students:
Where Might I Find A Job After Graduating From This Program?
There is and has been a nationwide shortage of secondary science teachers, particularly
physics teachers. There are more positions than qualified physics teachers in most
states, including Arkansas. While this program is primarily geared toward those who
wish to teach at the junior or senior high levels, opportunities may also exist within
the realms of public education and private tutoring to adults and/or children.
Where Can I Get More Information About The Physics Education Degree?
For more information about the Physical Science Education degree and requirements, see the program within the College of Education catalog.