Certificate of Proficiency | Ozark Campus | In-Person
This program is designed to develop the skills necessary for entry into industrial and commercial welding employment. Instruction is provided in SMAW, GMAW, and GTAW welding, thermal cutting, blueprint reading and layout techniques to give the student a basis to obtain employment and continue education in the vast field of metalworking.
To learn to weld, a person needs commitment, drive, intelligence, good motor coordination and excellent sight. There are many aspects to welding such as joint preparation, basic metallurgy, personal and equipment safety, and acquiring the ability to interpret blueprints.
Prior to completion of the course, students are required to take a two-part examination composed by the American Welding Society to apply for AWS Entry Level Welding Certification.
Hands-on Learning Opportunities
- Students work on projects in the lab.
Skills You Will Learn
- Control operations of equipment and accompanying materials to exacting conditions.
- Determine the kinds of tools, equipment and fillers needed for the job.
- Identify the most common metals to perform repairs and new fabrications.
- Identify, troubleshoot and rectify common equipment malfunctions.
- Inspect and evaluate the quality of welds and finished weldments.
- Use basic math and geometry to solve problems.
- Use of basic hand tools and power tools in a variety of conditions.
- Utilize a variety of measuring equipment to complete tasks.
About This Degree
In-State: $129 per credit hour
Out-of-State: $258 per credit hour
Students living in states bordering Arkansas receive in-state tuition.
Financial Aid is available for those who qualify. The Arkansas Tech University school
code to use on the FAFSA is 001089.
The AR Futures grant could cover your expenses for this credential. Check credential eligibility.
You could work as a(n):
- Iron Worker
- Welding Technician
Alumni of our program work at:
- American Piping and Boiler
- Fabrication Specialties
- Mid-South Steam Boiler
View the links below to better understand the courses, the course timeline, and who your faculty will be when you enroll as an ATU student.
Credentials that stack with this degree:
- Associate of Applied Science in Welding Technology
- Bachelor of Applied Science
- Bachelor of Professional Studies
- Technical Certificate in Welding Technology
Point of Pride
Our students were Skills USA Metal Fabrication winners in 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018.
ADDITIONAL PROGRAM INFORMATION
Corey "CJ" Danekas
Technology and Academic Support Building
1700 Helberg Lane
Ozark, AR 72949