Responding To Climate Change
Our guest speakers included:
“Making Sense of Climate Change: A Global to Local Perspective”
Dr. Kathleen Miller is an economist at the National Center for Atmospheric Research, in the Climate Science and Applications Program. Her work focuses on the governance of natural resource systems, and understanding how they will respond to the combined impacts of climate variability, human exploitation, other anthropogenic stressors and management actions.
She is the author of numerous papers on the management of water, fisheries and other natural resources in the context of climate variability and prospective climate change. She recently served as lead editor of a book entitled: Water Policy and Planning in a Variable and Changing Climate. Earlier, she served as coordinating lead author of Chapter 15, “North America” for the IPCC WG II TAR; as a lead author of Chapter 3, “Water Resources and Their Management” for the IPCC WG II AR4, and as a lead author of the 2008 IPCC Technical Paper on Climate Change and Water. She received a Ph.D. in economics from the University of Washington in 1985.
Climate Change Impacts on Water
Water Policy and Planning in a Variable and Changing Climate
"Battling Climate Change: Using Natural Laws or Man-made Laws?"
Casey Camp-Horinek is from the Ponca Nation of Oklahoma. She is a Native rights activist, environmentalist and actress. In 2008 she spoke before the United Nations on environmental issues in relation to Native rights. In 2009 she received Best Actress in American Indian Movie Award for her role in Barking Water (2008). She will speak about the impacts of climate change on indigenous peoples and her experiences with the Standing Rock protest.
- Hot, Flat, and Crowded: Why We Need a Green Revolution—And How It Can Renew America - Thomas Friedman, 2008
- Comfortably Unaware – Richard Oppenlander
- Climate Change: What Everyone Needs to Know - Joseph Romm
- Before the Flood (2016)
- Meat the Truth (2008)
- The 11th Hour (2007)
- Chasing Ice (2012)
- NOAA (2017) Global and regional sea level rise scenarios for the US
- National Academies (2016) Attribution of extreme weather events in the context of climate change
- Stimpson et al. (2015) Strategies for risk management and social responsibility for oil and gas companies in emerging markets
- NCCARF 2013: Rethinking disaster risk management and climate change adaptation
- Saxena (2015) Rural livelihoods in a complex social-ecological system
- Palfreman (2006) Two Fears: Media depictions of nuclear power and global warming