Graduate Assistantships in Student Success
About our Department:
Student Success at Arkansas Tech University is seeking enthusiastic and detail-oriented individuals interested in assisting students through the process of preparing for a career while pursuing their education. Our department assists students in succeeding through academic achievement and professional preparation. Through the areas of Career Services, mentoring programs, and tutoring, we want to give Arkansas Tech University students every opportunity to hone their critical thinking and problem solving abilities from the moment they set foot on campus to their graduation day, so that they can enter the workforce as responsible and independent professionals.
All our events, programming, and daily services are geared toward meeting these goals by providing one-on-one contact and customized materials specific to our student and alumni populations. By doing so, we aim to produce graduates that are well-informed, confident, and aware of the abilities that make them uniquely valuable for their future careers.
For the 2016-17 academic year, we have one confirmed assistantship and one anticipated assistantship in the Office of Student Success.
Graduate Assistantship in Student Success (one confirmed; one anticipated)
Student Success includes the following departments: Career Services, Bridge 2 Excellence, Retention Services, Parent Relations, and the Tutoring Center.
As staff members within the Student Success office, Graduate Assistants will be involved in the following:
- Developing and fostering relationships with the student and alumni community.
- Tracking placement and contributing to assessment of professional success among graduates.
- Providing support to our Student Ambassador program.
- Assisting students in preparing their marketing documents, such as resumes, cover letters, graduate school essays, and internship applications.
- Planning of special events including multiple career fairs, workshops, Etiquette Dinner, Family Day, Bridge 2 Excellence Mentor Breakfast, and more.
- Presenting, training, and teaching opportunities for student and staff audiences.
- Administering of self-assessments and coaching for students seeking guidance regarding future plans.
- Researching trends in the areas of career services, parent and family relations, and retention for future use within departmental programming.
- Other duties as assigned.
The minimum requirements for a candidate seeking this assistantship opportunity is a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university, admittance to Arkansas Tech University graduate school as a master's degree seeking graduate student, a completed background check, and availability to begin working July 1, 2016. Effective oral and written communication skills, organization skills, and the ability to multi-task are important characteristics for a successful graduate assistant in the Office of Student Success.
Monthly stipend divided over a 12 month contract
18 graduate credit hour waiver per academic year
How to Apply:
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and three professional references to:
Dr. Beth Giroir, Associate Dean for Student Success, at firstname.lastname@example.org