Arkansas Tech University Museum chartered 1989 as a project by University of Arkansas ArcheologicalSurvey, and Ozark-St. Francis Forest. Early collections were from a campus history club. Initial mission of region history, archeology, and University history was narrowed in 2008to collect/interpret only University history, build Tech history collections, create exhibits forTech Centennial (2009-2011), and develop online research site for Tech images. Directoroversees a collections practicum each fall, and teaches an introduction to museummethods course each spring. Staff are Director, Curator, GA and 5-7 student employees.
GA position in Collections Management. Responsibilities include:
- Working with Curator to carry out and/or oversee collections processing functions, including scanning, documentation, accessioning and cataloging
- Working on focused projects with archival, object, art, and textile collections
- GA receives training and experience in aspects of collections receiving, processing
- This entails some in-house preventive conservation; general collections research, care and monitoring; exhibit object preparation/installation; and collections storage and exhibit "housekeeping"
- GA supports Curator by supervising other collection students
*History and MLA students are given preference for these positions. However, students in other programs will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. An interest in history or preservation is essential.
How to Apply
Monthly stipend divided over a 9 month contract
18 graduate credit hour waiver per academic year