Graduate College Policies and Procedures

  •  Academic Advising
    Upon entering the graduate program, the student should develop a planned program of studies (including determined prerequisites) under the supervision of their designated faculty advisor. Subsequent modifications must be approved by the advisor and department head.
  •  Academic Dismissal

    A student who has been unconditionally admitted and who attempts eighteen semester hours of graduate credit without being admitted to candidacy and without earning a 3.00 grade point average will be dropped from the graduate program.

    A student who is admitted conditionally or on a non-degree basis will be subject to academic dismissal after attempting twelve semester hours of graduate credit with a grade point average of less than 3.00.

    A student who has been admitted to candidacy but who does not have a 3.00 grade point average at the time of completing the minimum number of hours required by the degree program may submit no more than six additional hours in an attempt to attain a grade point average of 3.00.

    In no case will a student be graduated from a master's degree program if more than forty-two hours are submitted in order to reach a 3.00 grade point average.

    In the computation of the grade point average, all courses taken for graduate credit (including any repeated courses) will be taken into account.

  •  Adding and Dropping Courses
    Changes in the class schedule must be made on official forms available at the Registrar's Office, Room 153, Student Services Building. Failure to follow the correct procedure for making changes in the class schedule may result in the grade of "F" being recorded for the courses involved. The deadlines for adding courses, dropping courses, or changing sections are listed in the graduate calendar in this catalog.
  •   Appeals Procedures
    Appeal procedures of academic grades or academic program dismissal are found in the Student Handbook. In the case of graduate students, the school dean will be the graduate dean. Other types of appeals not solved at the instructor or department level should be referred to the graduate dean.
  •  Catalog Privilege
    Candidates for a master's degree may choose to complete requirements under the regulations published in the Tech graduate catalog for the year of initial enrollment in the graduate program at Arkansas Tech University or a subsequent year, provided they were enrolled in the graduate program at the University during the year the catalog was in effect. The catalog chosen must not be over six years old when requirements for the degree are completed.
  •  Courses for Audit
    Enrollment in courses for audit requires admission to graduate study at the University, approval of the Vice President for Academic Affairs and the instructor involved, and payment of the regular fee for the course. Audit will be on a "space-available" basis. Students auditing courses are subject to the same regulations as other students with regard to registration, but they do not take examinations nor receive credit for the course. Students may change from taking a course for credit to audit by following the procedure for adding and dropping courses.
  •  Grading and Credit Point System

    The letters A, B, C, D, F, are used in grading to indicate the quality of a student's work: A - Excellent, B - Good, C - Fair, D - Unsatisfactory, and F - Failure. The letters AU, W, I, and R are also used: "AU" indicates that the student was enrolled in the course as an "auditor"; "W" is used to indicate that a course was dropped without penalty; "I" indicates that a portion of a course, such as a term paper or final examination, has not been completed; and the letter "R" indicates that the student registered for the master's thesis. The mark "R" gives neither credit nor grade points toward a graduate degree.

    If a student needs to repeat a course or a significant portion of a course, a "W" or "F" will be assigned according to regulations governing the assignments of such grades.
  •  Graduate Student Load
    Graduate students may enroll for a maximum of twelve hours of credit per semester during the academic year and six hours of credit during each of the two summer terms. A one-credit-hour overload may be authorized by the head of the student's major department. A graduate student will be considered full time if enrolled for nine or more hours of credit during a regular semester or four hours during a summer term.
  •  Incompletion of Capstone Project
    Students enrolling in capstone projects such as the action research project, the liberal arts project, or thesis will be given a grade of "R" if requirements are not completed by the end of the semester. The grade of "R" does not affect hours or grade point. Students receiving the grade of "R" will be required to enroll in the course the following semester(s) until the requirements are completed.
  •  Independent Study Courses

    Independent study courses are intended for graduate students who have the interest and the ability to investigate in depth a topic not covered in the graduate courses available in their major field of study. The topic, format, and specific requirements of each independent study project must be approved in writing by the supervising instructor, graduate advisor, department head, and dean prior to enrollment for independent study credit. The original copy of the independent study approval form will be kept on file in the Office of Graduate School as part of the student's official graduate record. A student may not enroll in an independent study course before completing twelve hours of graduate credit.

    Students pursuing the Master of Education degree or the Master of Science in Education degree are advised to take EDFD 6003, Educational Research, or another approved research course before enrolling for independent study.

  •  Limit on Workshop and Independent Study Credit
    No more than six semester hours of graduate course work completed in workshops and/or independent study may be applied to the master's degree.
  •  Removal of "I" Grades

    An "I" grade must be removed by the end of the succeeding regular semester of enrollment after the "I" is received. Beginning the first summer term, 1990, and thereafter, a grade of "I" will not be computed in the grade point average for the semester recorded; however, the "I" will be automatically changed to a grade of "F" for grade and grade point purposes at the end of the next regular semester (fall or spring) unless course requirements are completed and the final grade is reported before the end of the semester. A grade of "I" recorded prior to the first summer term of 1990 will be computed as an "F" for grade point purposes until the "I" is removed.

    An extension of the time limit or other necessary arrangements to remove an "I" will be made only if a written request for such extension is approved by the department head, school dean, and the Vice President for Academic Affairs.

  •  Repeating a Course

    No graduate student may repeat a course for graduate credit except with written permission of the advisor. The grade from such a repetition as well as the original grade will be counted in computing the grade point average.

  •  Withdrawing

    To withdraw officially, the student must report to the Office of Graduate School and the office of the Registrar. Failure to follow this procedure may result in a grade of "F" being recorded.

    The deadline for officially withdrawing from the University with grades of "W" is the same as the last day for dropping courses. Withdrawing after this date, which is listed in the graduate calendar in this catalog, will result in grades of "F" being recorded for the semester/term. If circumstances justify special consideration, appeals should be directed to the Dean of Graduate College.