Frequently Asked Questions

The Graduate College staff is here to help you! They can provide answers regarding admissions, program selection, or any general questions about the Graduate College not listed on the FAQs. Please feel free to contact them at 479-968-0398 or e-mail Please mail any admission documents to:

ATU Graduate College
1507 N Boulder Ave
Tomlinson 113
Russellville, AR 72801


Minimum admission requirements include:

  1. Pay $40 application fee during application process.
  2. Hold a bachelor's degree from an accredited college verified by an official transcript. Request a complete, official transcript from the college or university granting the bachelor's degree to be sent directly to the ATU Graduate College.
  3. Have a minimum 2.5 cumulative grade point average or a minimum 3.00 on the last 30 hours of undergraduate work or hold a graduate degree from a regionally accredited institution.
  4. Meet additional admission requirements specified by programs in the graduate catalog (GRE, writing samples, etc.). Required documents for admission can be found on the Graduate College webpage.

First, you must fill out the online Graduate College Application, and pay the $40 application fee. Next, send official transcripts from your bachelor's awarding institution and any graduate institutions previously attended, as well as, immunization records showing two MMR shots. Finally, submit any additional items specified by your particular program to the Graduate College.

Program listings can be found on the Graduate College webpage and/or in the current Graduate Catalog available online.

 A program of study describes the curriculum specific to a degree program.

Arkansas Tech University is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission and a member of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, 30 N. LaSalle Street, Suite 2400, Chicago, Illinois 60602. 312.263.0456

Some programs may require either the GRE, GMAT, or MAT. Refer to the Graduate Catalog for program-specific guidelines.

No undergraduate course may be transferred or repeated for graduate credit.
Take a look at the current tuition and fees available from Student Accounts.
You will need official transcripts from your bachelor's awarding institution and/or any university from which you earned graduate credit. Unofficial transcripts may be submitted initially, but official ones must be supplied to the Graduate College before class registration can begin.

No, all transcripts must be official.

Students enrolling at ATU must have one record of MMR shots: Measles, Mumps, and Rubella. Exceptions only apply if you were born before January 1, 1957, or you are pursuing an online degree entirely online (never attending classes on-campus).
All payments go through the Student Accounts office. By the first day of classes, payment must be received. Students using a payment plan must make arrangements prior to the beginning of the semester. Payment may be made with cash, check, authorized financial aid, credit cards, or through e-cashier (the payment plan option).
Yes, there are several financial aid opportunities available for graduate students through the Financial Aid office 479.968.0399. Also, Graduate Assistant positions are available on-campus. There are also Grants and Scholarships available to apply for.

A Graduate Assistant is a graduate student working for the University in roles such as teaching, research within a department, or working in various departmental roles. The goal of assistantships is to serve as professional development for the student, as well as furthering their education and growth in their field of study. The particular duties that an individual graduate assistant will perform will depend on their department and the type of position they secure.

All students granted a graduate assistantship receive a tuition waiver. This waiver will pay all tuition costs for a maximum of 18 graduate credit hours taken within one (1) academic year. Students are responsible for paying all fees and purchasing books. A student may not hold more than one graduate assistantship at any given time.

Generally speaking, students holding an academic assistantship will receive a stipend of $4,800 annually, $2,400 per semester, with a maximum appointment of 50% (20 hours per week). However, the amount of the stipend awarded may vary depending on the nature of the GA position, effective start date, and the number of hours worked by the student each week.

Assistantships are available through a variety of offices on the Arkansas Tech campus. For more information regarding available assistantships, applicants should contact the Graduate College at 479.968.0398 or visit the Graduate Assistant Page.

Yes; however, it is the responsibility of the graduate student to check with the Arkansas Department of Higher Education, Arkansas Department of Education, and use the Free Application for Federal Student Aid for more information.
A cohort is a group of people who enter a program of study at the same time and travel through the program of study together.
The best time to begin a graduate program is when you are ready to make a commitment to furthering your education. New applications are accepted for the fall, spring, and summer terms.
Your program of study selection is based upon your interest and your career path. If you would like to discuss your options, feel free to contact the Graduate College at 479.968.0398.
While each program has its own criteria for graduation, most require 36 credit hours to graduate. A majority of students graduate with a degree in approximately two years.

Yes, we currently offer twelve degree programs, four endorsements, and two certificates in an online format. You can visit Graduate Degrees page for more information.

A maximum of six (6) graduate credit hours in a 30 hour program and nine (9) graduate credit hours in a 36 hour program, with a grade point average of B or better, may be transferred. The graduate school awarding the credit must be accredited and the coursework must be deemed appropriate to the graduate program by the students department head and the Graduate College Dean. If after admission to graduate college, a student wishes to take a course at another institution to count toward degree requirements at ATU, the student must (in advance of enrollment) obtain written approval from the program director and the Graduate College Dean.
A "T" number is your personal identification number; all students are given this ID number in place of their Social Security Number.
Yes, each student needs an ATU ID. Your ID will allow you to use ATU resources, and gain access to buildings for evening classes.
That must be determined by the university at which the doctoral program resides.
Yes, graduate students below the age of 25 are eligible to live in and on-campus apartment. Those students above the age of 25 may reside in an ATU supported off-campus residence or may request off-campus living options at the Graduate College.
Yes, we do offer an MBA. The online application is available.