Follow these instructions in the event you receive a telephone bomb threat:
- Listen to the caller carefully and write down what you are told. Always remember to ask the caller when and where the device is supposed to activate. Try to fill out as much of the information on paper, but dont be surprised if the caller simply hangs up before you can react.
- Do not panic. The vast majority of phone in bomb threats are pranks.
- Call 911 or Public Safety immediately at (479)968-0222 and report what the caller said. Stay on the telephone with the police dispatcher or an officer over the phone depending on the circumstance.
- Do not activate a fire alarm unless told to do so by an officer or the dispatcher. Public safety follows procedures regarding bomb threat response and evacuations. Building evacuations will be conducted only if ordered by the person in charge of the incident.
- If you are told to evacuate, close your room door but do not lock it. Take all your personal belongings, lunches, purses, backpacks (as they could be mistaken for concealed explosives) and exit building. Move well away from the building (500 feet is recommended) for you safety. Stay away from windows.
Bomb Threat Checklist Remember to stay calm and not hang up.
Time and Date:________________________________________________________
Caller ID/Telephone Number of person issuing the threat
SEX: Male [ ] Female [ ]
: Adult [ ] Juvenile [ ] Approximate Age ____
CALL ORIGIN: Local [ ] Long Distance [ ] Internal [ ]
[ ] Loud [ ] Deep [ ] Intoxicated [ ] Soft [ ] High Pitched [ ] Other
[ ] Fast [ ] Distinct [ ] Slurred [ ] Slow [ ] Distorted [ ] Lisp [ ] Other
[ ] Excellent [ ] Good [ ] Fair [ ] Poor [ ] Foul [ ] Other
[ ] Local [ ] Foreign [ ] Regional:_____________
[ ] Calm [ ] Rational [ ] Coherent [ ] Deliberate [ ] Party [ ] Deliberate [ ] Righteous
[ ] Angry [ ] Irrational [ ] Incoherent [ ] Emotional [ ] Laughing
[ ] Machines [ ] Confusion [ ] Music [ ] Office [ ] Mixed [ ] Trolley/Train
[ ] Busses/cars/trucks [ ] Animals [ ] Quiet [ ] Voices [ ] Airplanes GENERAL PROCEDURES
1. Keep the caller talking if possible.
2. Questions to ask:
- When will it go off?
- Time Remaining:
- What Does it look like?
- Where is it Located?
- What kind of bomb is it?
- Where are you now?
- What is your name and address?
3. Write out the message in its entirety along with any other comments.