Frequently Asked Questions
What does the Office of Disability Services do?
- Our office serves as the campus liaison for students who may experience barriers in their learning environment due to a disability. We value disability as an aspect of diversity and are committed to moving our campus towards an equitable and inclusive environment for all students.
What is the process of getting accommodations through the Office of Disability Services?
- Go to atu.edu/disabilities and click on Apply for Disability Services; Documentation may be uploaded at the time of application. After your application is reviewed you will receive an email from us letting you know the next steps in the process. An in depth intake interview between you and a DS staff member to discuss the nature of your disabilities, how it has impacted you in prior academic settings, and with regard to your activities and daily living will be conducted prior to accommodations being issued.
What level of documentation does the student need?
- We have documentation guidelines (https://www.atu.edu/disabilities/documentation.php) on our website that provides insight on the documentation requirements to receive accommodations from the Office of Disability Services.
If I am getting an Emotional Support Animal which application do I fill out first, Disabilities or Housing?
- Both can be done at the same time. We encourage students to select a room assignment before being approved for any housing accommodation. Room assignments can be adjusted based on approved accommodations.
Can I test in the Testing Center without having accommodations?
- Our Testing Center is reserved for students who receive approved accommodations through the Office of Disability Services; however there are some cases, due to a university sanctioned event that instructors may make arrangements for students to test in our office. If a student suspects that they may have a qualifying disability, they are encouraged to get in contact with our office to discuss their options.
Are there any costs associated with registering for services through the office of disability services?