Health and Physical Education-Wellness and fitness option
Bachelor's Degree | Russellville Campus | In-Person or Blended
The Department of Health and Physical Education’s Wellness Fitness Program provides students with a strong foundation in a variety of topics from personal physical fitness to health and nutrition. The program is designed to prepare individuals for a range of careers dealing with wellness. Course content presents all aspects of wellness and fitness development across lifespans. Students not only learn about developing and maintaining appropriate levels of health related and physical fitness for all age groups through academic work and applied assignments, they participate in classes designed to demonstrate to the “how and why” of fitness.
Students receive exposure to the career opportunities available in the wellness field. Specific classes offer students the opportunity to shadow professionals in careers they are interested in. These careers include Physical Therapy, Athletic Training, Physical Therapy Assistant, Strength and Conditioning Coach (public schools), Personal Trainer, Fitness Center Trainer/Owner, Nutrition Center Consultant, etc.
With additional hours, the program can be used as a basis for advanced degrees in medicine, physical, occupational and recreational therapy.
HANDS-ON LEARNING opportunities
- Students complete 60 clock hours of practicum experience with partnering clinics, fitness centers, gyms, and various facilities related to the profession.
- Students complete a semester-long internship in the discipline and log over 480 clock hours of experience with exercise program design, assessment strategies, behavior change strategies, and practical experience in their chosen field.
- Students develop a professional portfolio as a complete record of their experiences while completing the internship.
SKILLS YOU WILL LEARN
- Community Capacity-knowing how to work with key stakeholders in the organization and community.
- Exercise Program Design-including best practices in assessment and training of individuals for wellness and fitness.
- Exercise Program Implementation-including training/coaching strategy and use of assessment to foster continued wellness and fitness development.
- Leadership/Teamwork skills-including professional development and volunteerism.
About This Degree
Students living in states bordering Arkansas receive in-state tuition.
Financial Aid is available for those who qualify. The Arkansas Tech University school code to use on the FAFSA is 001089.
- Financial Aid
- Payment Plan
- Graduate Assistantships
You could work as a(n):
- Athletic Trainer
- Fitness Center Owner
- Personal Trainer
- Strength and Conditioning Coach/Trainer
Alumni of our program work at:
- Anytime Fitness, Clarksville
- Core Wellness Center, Little Rock
- El Dorado Public Schools
- Labette Community College
View the links below to better understand the courses, the course timeline, and who your faculty will be when you enroll as an ATU student.
Credentials that stack with this degree:
- American College of Sports Medicine Certified Exercise Physiologist, ACSM-EP
- American College of Sports Medicine Certified Personal Trainer, ACSM-CPT
- Master of Science in Strength and Conditioning Studies (SCS)
- National Strength and Conditioning Association Certified Personal Trainer, NSCA-CPT
Point of Pride
HPE/WS students complete their internships with outstanding final evaluations.