WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
What Is The Speech Education Degree?
The Bachelor of Arts in Speech Education is housed within the College of Education for teacher licensure in secondary education. Advanced work through teaching internships are required for the program to achieve the licensure requirements in grades 7 through 12.
What Will I Learn In This Program?
- Basic organizational patterns of the body for public speaking.
- Comprehension and analysis of the structure of an argument.
- Identifying logical fallacies in argument.
- Demonstrated proficiency in APA and MLA styles of notation.
- Conducting research to inform analysis.
- Classroom management and a variety of pedagogical techniques.
What Courses Will I Take?
The Academic Advising Center has created maps that are term-by-term sample course schedules based on the current Undergraduate Catalog. On each Degree Map, the milestones listed to the right of each term are designed to keep students on track to graduate in four years.
What Resources Are Available To Me?
- Modern Language Association
- National Communication Association
- Rhetoric Society of America
- The American Communication Association
- Association for Educational Communications and Technology
- The Association for Women in Communications
Additional resources specifically for Tech students
- Student National Education Association
Where Might I Find A Job After Graduating From This Program?
Positions within the Speech field vary from public speaking and public relations to corporate communications. Students can think out of the box with this degree as well through careers in marketing and law.
While this program is primarily geared toward those who wish to teach at the junior or senior high level, opportunities may also exist within the realms of public education and private teaching to adults and/or children.
Where Can I Get More Information About The Speech Education Degree?
For more information about the Speech Education degree and requirements, see the program within the College of Arts and Humanities catalog.