Associate of Science in Early Childhood Education
The Associate of Science in Early Childhood Education is an online degree structured to provide a seamless acquisition of academic requirements for various career levels in occupations related to child care and early childhood education in the public and private sectors. The early childhood education courses provide the academic requirements for meeting assessment guidelines for the Child Development Associate (CDA) credential. The general education courses can be applied toward the Bachelor of Professional Studies degree in Child Development.
Early Childhood Education Associate Degree
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of child development and learning
- Know about, understand, and value the role of a child's family, culture, and community in children's lives
- Work cooperatively with parents, using an understanding of the family as a context for young children's development
- Demonstrate knowledge, skills, and dispositions of a reflective early childhood practitioner
- Demonstrate knowledge of health, safety, nutrition, and administrative guidelines
- Develop a thorough understanding of child development and the value of play in children's learning
- Design developmentally-appropriate curriculum and classroom practices
- Adhere to ethical practices in the field of early childhood education
Program of Study
General Education coursework or enrollment in courses as needed: 35 hours
Required Coursework: 25 hours
- TECH 1001 Orientation to the University
- ECE 2113 Basic Child Growth and Development
- ECE 2313 Foundations and Theories in Early Childhood Education
- ECE 2513 Curriculum for Early Childhood Education
- ECE 2613 Methods and Materials Using Developmentally Appropriate Practices and Activities for Young Children
- ECE 2991-9 Practicum in Early Childhood Education
- NUR 2303 Nutrition
The matrix below is a sample plan for all coursework required for this program.
1See appropriate alternatives or substitutions in "General Education Requirements".