Bachelor of Arts in History
General Education Required Courses
- HIST 1503 World History to 1500
- HIST 1513 World History since 1500
- HIST 2003 United States History to 1877
- HIST 2013 United States History since 1877
Additional courses required for the history degree include,
- POLS 2003 American Government
- ECON 2003 Principles of Macroeconomics
- GEOG 2013 Regional Geography of the World
- ANTH 2003 Cultural Anthropology OR SOC 1003 Introductory Sociology
- HIST 2203 Introduction to Public History
- HIST 2513 Sources and Methods in History
- HIST 4153 History of Arkansas
- HIST 4963 Senior Seminar
Fifteen additional semester hours must be 3000-4000 level history courses with at least six hours in U.S. History, six hours in world/European history, and three hours in public history. Three additional hours must be a 3000-4000 level geography course.
History majors are also required to take six hours of beginning foreign language courses or obtain the appropriate waiver for high school language study.
The matrix below is a sample plan for all coursework required for this program.
1See appropriate alternatives or substitutions in "General Education Requirements".
2At least 40 of the total hours required for graduation must be 3000 - 4000 level courses.
3HIST class must be in the sub-field of United States History.
4HIST class must be in the sub-field of European or World History.
5HIST class must be in the sub-field of Public History
6Must be in one language. Students may waive three hours of language requirement for every one year of language study in high school with grades of "C" or better.
7Students admitted to the accelerated BA History to MA History may substitute six (6) hours of 5000 and 6000-level history courses for 4000-level courses.