Skip to main contentSkip to footer content
Download PDF

Fees & Charges

Tuition and Fees

Students enrolling at Arkansas Tech University are assessed tuition and fees to cover the costs of instruction and other student services common to a university setting. Additionally, certain courses requiring individual instruction or special facilities carry fees which are listed with the course description.

Border State Tuition and Fees

All graduate students who are legal residents of states which are contiguous to Arkansas (specifically, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, Tennessee, or Texas) shall receive a waiver for out-of-state tuition charges.

A student from outside of Arkansas entitled to be treated as an in-state student for fee purposes should complete an “Application for Residency Classification as Instate Domiciliary” and supply evidence to that effect.

Out-of-State Residence Status for Tuition and Fees

All graduate students classified as “out-of-state” must pay out-of-state tuition as shown in the section entitled “Fees and Charges.”

Course Fees

Certain courses may also have fees attached. See individual course descriptions to determine whether a course fee is applicable. Students in a qualified online program, meeting certain criteria will not pay the Public Safety Fee, Student Recreation/ Student Union Fee and Students Activity Fee. This criterion is defined as students who are enrolled in a qualified online program that can be completed entirely online, are enrolled in a semester of entirely online coursework, and have no physical presence on campus.

Other Fees and Charges

International Student Service Fee

Food and Housing (Subject to changes as necessary)

Graduate students are eligible to live in residence halls. Graduate students must carry a minimum of six (6) graduate hours, while residing on campus. All students living in residence halls are required to purchase a meal plan. Meal plans are available during the fall and spring semesters. Declining Balance Dollars may be used in Chambers Cafeteria, Baz-ATU, and Convenience Store.

Residence halls are closed between fall and spring semesters, with the exception of Jones, Stadium Suites, and Wilson. However, residents may remain in the residence halls during this period provided they submit proper paperwork to the Department of Residential Life to gain approval. There will be an additional cost for residents approved to remain in the residence halls over this break period. Residents may remain in the residence halls during all other breaks, provided they notify the residence hall staff of their intentions prior to the break period.

Parking and Public Safety

All vehicles on ATU campus are required to register and display a current parking permit. Permits are valid from August 15th one year through August 15th of the next year. Permits must be displayed by hanging on the rear-view mirror so the number can be read through the front windshield from the outside; they may not be taped on the vehicle or laid on the dash or seat. These permits can be moved from vehicle to vehicle. Permits are the responsibility of the purchaser and must be removed prior to sale or transfer of the vehicle, upon termination of employment, or withdrawal from the University. Only one permit per individual can be purchased unless the prior permit was lost or stolen. There is no refund for permit cost. Vehicles can be registered by following these steps: Log in to OneTech ( The registration fee, penalties, and fines are published in the ATU parking map.

Temporary parking permits are available at the Department of Public Safety for faculty, staff, and students who have misplaced their parking permit.

Payment of Accounts

Financial settlement may be made by personal payment or AUTHORIZED financial aid (loans, scholarships, grants, third parties, etc.). Credit card and eCheck payments are only accepted through OneTech under "Payment Options". A 2.75% convenience fee will apply toward student's accounts made via a merchant card. Cash and check payments may be made at the Student Accounts cashier window in RCB Room 241. Registration is not complete until all financial obligations have been met satisfactorily. Failure to make financial settlement may result in cancellation of the class schedule.

Monthly billing statements are electronic. Near the first of each month, notification and information for access will be provided to students via the individual student e-mail address and online at Students are responsible for accessing billing statements and printing a paper copy if desired. Students registering between billing cycles are responsible for accessing their charges online or contacting Student Accounts to insure making correct payment by the required due date. Payment is due even if billing statement is not received. Students with delinquent accounts are not eligible for transcripts, recommendations, advance registration, or readmission to any term. Collection fees for outstanding debts owed to the University will be assessed to the student.

The University reserves the right to amend or add to the regulations of the institution, including those concerning charges and methods of payment, and to make such changes applicable to students enrolled in the University, as well as to new students.

Important Information for Reduction of Tuition and Fees for Official Withdrawal

The following reduction information specifically addresses courses that begin and end with the main term dates for Spring, Summer I, Summer II and Fall, as listed in the Academic Calendar. Courses with beginning and/or ending dates that are different than the main terms listed above may have different reduction periods. It is the students' responsibility to consult the Student Accounts or Registrar's Office for these reduction dates prior to withdrawing. Withdrawal dates for course with beginning and/or ending dates outside the traditional term can be found at:

In the event a student is receiving student financial aid, any refund amount attributable to a loan, grant, or scholarship will be returned to the appropriate account and not to the student. The amount returned to federal programs will be the amount of unearned Federal aid based on the number of calendar days of attendance up to the sixty percent point of the semester. Aid accounts will be refunded in the following order up to the amount of the original disbursement: Federal Direct Loan Programs, Federal Perkins Loan Program, Federal Direct PLUS Loan Program, Federal Pell Grant Program, Federal SEOG Program, Arkansas Department of Higher Education Programs, ATU scholarships and private aid. Additionally, students who have received a cash payment of Federal aid money will receive a letter after their withdrawal informing them of any amount to be repaid. These repayments will be made through the Student Accounts Office. The student will be ineligible to register for additional courses until the required payments are made.

Reduction of Tuition and Fees for Official Withdrawal - Summer Semesters

Students registering for a summer semester, but officially withdrawing from the courses by the end of the second day of the summer semester, as listed in the “Academic Calendar” will receive a 100 percent reduction of tuition and fees. Students registering for a summer semester, but officially withdrawing from the University by the end of the fifth day of the semester in a summer term, as listed in the “Academic Calendar” will receive an 80 percent reduction of tuition for courses which they are enrolled in at time of withdrawal. No reduction in tuition will be made after the fifth day of the summer semester. No reduction of fees will be made after the second day of the semester.

Reduction of Tuition and Fees for Official Withdrawal - Spring and Fall Semesters

Students registering for the fall or spring semester but officially withdrawing from the University by the end of the fifth day of the semester, as listed in the “Academic Calendar”, will receive a 100 percent reduction of tuition and fees. Room and Board will be reduced on a pro rata basis. Thereafter, students officially withdrawing by the end of the eleventh day of the semester will receive an 80 percent reduction of tuition only for courses in which they are enrolled at time of withdrawal. No reduction in tuition will be made after the eleventh day of the semester. No reduction in fees will be made after the fifth day of the semester.

Financial Aid

The following aid programs are available to graduate students: the Federal Direct Unsubsidized and Direct PLUS Loan Programs, which provide loans (interest rate determined annually) to eligible students; and the Federal College Work-Study Program, which provides on-campus part-time jobs. In order to participate in these programs, the student must submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid at

Additional information may be obtained at or by e-mail at Priority deadlines are April 1 for summer, January 15 for fall, and October 1 for spring.

In addition to general requirements listed in the financial aid academic policy located at, graduate students receiving federally funded financial aid must meet the conditions listed below in order to remain eligible for financial aid:

  • Students must earn 67% of hours This is calculated as shown: Hours passed ÷ hours attempted = 67% or greater.
  • Students must maintain a cumulative 0 GPA on graduate courses.
  • Students must complete the degree by the end of 54 attempted

Graduate Assistantships

The University offers a limited number of graduate assistantships through its academic departments and administrative offices. Inquiries regarding assistantships should be directed to the Graduate College webpage. Available assistantships will be posted and updated accordingly throughout the academic year. Student inquiries regarding specific positions should be directed to the contact person listed in the posting. Additionally, it is the responsibility of the applicant to pursue possible positions through the posted openings on the graduate assistant webpage and by contacting the individual departments.

A graduate student holding an assistantship appointment does part-time work for the University as determined by the department or office involved. A student receiving an assistantship may take a maximum of nine (9) hours and a minimum of six (6) hours of course work per semester. During summer sessions students may enroll in graduate hours as long as they do not exceed their waiver hour allotment and have not graduated from Graduate College. Students are eligible to hold a GA position for a minimum of four (4) regular semesters. Maymester and summer terms do not count as part of the four (4) semesters as long as 18 graduate credit hours are not exceeded within one (1) fiscal year. Exceptions may be made upon the approval of the

appropriate program director and the Graduate College Dean. Students selected to hold a graduate assistantship may work only within their contracted department; multiple graduate assistantships within one time period are not acceptable. Additionally, GAs may not hold multiple on-campus roles, i.e. GA and student worker, during the same semester term without prior approval from the Graduate College Dean.

A student may receive a graduate assistantship award for four (4) semesters, if they meet the Graduate College eligibility guidelines and receive continued departmental approval. A program director may appeal for one (1) extra semester by completing a Graduate Assistant Fifth Semester Request Form and providing a detailed written justification to the Graduate Dean. All requests for an additional semester should be received by the application deadlines.

In-State Tuition for Military Personnel, Veterans and Dependents

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at

 Regardless of residence, ATU shall classify a student as in-state or resident for the purpose of tuition and fees applicable for all programs of study, including distance learning programs, if the student is a:

  • Veteran who was honorably discharged or released from a period of not less than ninety (90) days of active duty in the military within three (3) years before the date of enrollment in a program of study;
  • Dependent of a veteran under subdivision (1) above;
  • Current member of the armed forces;
  • Spouse of a current member of the armed forces;
  • Veteran using educational assistance under either Chapter 30 (Montgomery G.I. Bill®) - Active Duty Program) or Chapter 33 (Post-9/11 G.I. Bill®), or VR&E, who lives in the State of Arkansas while attending a school located in the State of Arkansas (regardless of their formal State of residence) and enrolls in the school within three years of discharge from a period of active duty service of 90 days or more;
  • Spouse or child using transferred Post-9/11 G.I. Bill® benefits (33 U.S.C. §3319) who lives in the State of Arkansas while attending a school located in the State of Arkansas (regardless of formal State of residence) and enrolls in the school within three years of the transferor's discharge from a period of active duty service of 90 days or more;
  • Spouse or child using benefits under the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship (38 U.S. §§3311(b)(9)) who lives in the State of Arkansas while attending a school located in the State of Arkansas (regardless of their formal State of residence) and enrolls in the school within three years of the Service member's death in the line of duty following a period of active duty service of 90 days or more;
  • Person who initially met the requirements set out in sections 5, 6, or 7 will maintain "covered individual" status as long as they remain continuously enrolled (other than during regularly schedules breaks between courses, semesters, or terms) at the same school even if they are outside the 3-year window or enrolls in multiple programs. For purposes of a student who is eligible for in-state tuition solely under sections 5, 6, or 7 above, that person must have enrolled in the school prior to the expiration of the three-year period following discharge or death described above in sections 5, 6 or 7 and must be using educational benefits under either Chapter 30 or Chapter 33 of Title 38 of the United States Code; or
  • Member of the armed forces or "covered individual" as identified in Section 702 of the Veterans Access, Choice and Accountability Act of


The scholarships listed below have been established by the alumni and friends of ATU in order to afford students the ability to pursue their goals of earning a degree in higher education. Available Scholarships and Assistantships for Graduate Students can be found here: Funding Your Degree | Arkansas Tech University (

Graduate College Recognition Awards

Jim Ed McGee Graduate Honors Award

 The Jim Ed McGee Graduate Honors Award was instituted to recognize one ATU graduate each year.


Individuals who graduated in May or December are eligible to apply by April 1st of the year following their graduation.


The Jim Ed McGee Graduate Honors Award recipient will receive a personal plaque presented at a reception hosted by the Graduate Council. Additionally, his/her name will be inscribed on the Jim Ed McGee Graduate Honor Award Plaque for permanent display in the Graduate College.

Angelo and Rosa Denova Graduate History Award

 The recipient of this award will be selected by a History Department Paper Prize Award Committee. It is open to any student enrolled in a graduate History course at Arkansas ATU, regardless of major, during the current award cycle. Students should submit scholarly papers written during the current award cycle in a History class at Arkansas ATU. Specific Submission Guidelines are available from Department of History and Political Science.