Bachelor of Arts in Psychology
The Psychology curriculum is designed to (1) prepare students for advanced study in psychology; (2) support, through electives, programs of study in other disciplines; (3) give a basis for entry into the job market; (4) arouse the curiosity of all students regarding human behavior; (5) provide opportunities for experiences outside the classroom by way of field programs and practical experiences.
The student majoring in psychology must, in addition to meeting the general education requirements:
Basic Core (12 hours):
- PSY 2003 General Psychology 5
- PSY 2053 Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences/SOC 2053 Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences 5
- PSY 2063 Research Design for the Behavioral Sciences/SOC 2063 Research Design for the Behavioral Sciences 5
- PSY 3191 Careers in Psychology
- Capstone (choose one of the following courses):
- PSY 3003 Abnormal Psychology OR PSY 3153 Personality Psychology
- PSY 3053 Behavioral Neuroscience OR PSY 4053 Sensation and Perception
- PSY 3063 Developmental Psychology: Childhood OR PSY 3183 Development Psychology: Adolescence
- PSY 3073 Psychology of Learning OR PSY 4073 Cognitive Psychology
- PSY 4043 Social Psychology/SOC 4043 Social Psychology OR PSY 3123 Evolutionary Psychology
- Upper Division Elective, PSY 6 hours
- ANTH 2003 Cultural Anthropology or ANTH 1213 Introduction to Anthropology and SOC 1003 Introductory Sociology
- Minor or Second Major
The matrix below is a sample plan for all coursework required for this program.
|ENGL 1013 Composition I 1
|USHG 1XXX U. S. History and GovernmentU. S. History and Government 1
|MATH XXXX Mathematics 1
|TECH 1001 Orientation to the University||1|
|Elective 2, 3||6|
|PSY Topical Core 4
|PSY 2063 Research Design for the Behavioral Sciences/SOC 2063 Research Design for the Behavioral Sciences 5||3|
|PSY 3191 Careers in Psychology||1|
|Elective 2, 3||8|
|PSY (3000- 4000 level)||6|
|Electiv 2, 3||9|
|CAPSTONE: PSY 4003 Capstone: Advanced Research Method and Lab for Psychology or PSY 4103 Capstone: Advanced Psychological Science or PSY 4203 Capstone: Psychology in the Community 5||3|
|Elective 2, 3||12|
1See appropriate alternatives or substitutions in "General Education Requirements".
2A minor or second degree must be completed.
3At least 40 of the total hours required for graduation must be 3000 - 4000 level courses.
4See appropriate options in "Topical Core" above.
5Psychology majors must earn a grade of 'C' or higher.