Requirements for Fulfillment of College Distinction in the College of Business
College Distinction provides exceptional current Arkansas Tech students an opportunity to challenge themselves academically and gain recognition for their outstanding work in the college classroom. Students with at least sixty hours of college credit and thirty hours of course work at Arkansas Tech with a minimum 3.5 GPA are invited to participate in the program. Students who accept the invitation to pursue College Distinction will have the opportunity to take two courses designated as distinction courses. The first is an enrichment course. This course provides an extra educational experience related to the student’s field of study and could include, among other experiences, study abroad, internship, service learning, or mentor-guided research. The second is an enhanced capstone course. This course demonstrates a student’s ability to work at an exceptional level in a given field and is enhanced by an advanced or accelerated curriculum.
Students’ successful completion of the course requirements and a graduating GPA of 3.5 or better will allow for graduation “with distinction.” This will be noted on student transcripts and diplomas.
Each department will identify distinction courses for each major.
All majors in the College of Business that are eligible for inclusion in the College Distinction program, will adhere to the following:
- Eligible students complete College of Distinction invitation letter signaling their intention to participate in the College of Business Distinction program
- The students will satisfy the requirements for the following two courses:
- BUAD 4000 College of Business College Distinction Activity – Prerequisite: Acceptance
into the College of Business College Distinction program. This course is required
for all students accepted into the College of Business College Distinction program.
It may be taken a maximum of four times.
This course requires students to participate in a wide variety of significant activities approved by the College of Business. Examples of such activities are foreign travel, travel associated with research presentations, travel associated with a class, travel associated with an approved club or organization, completion of the Dean’s Leadership Class, etc.
- MGMT 4080 College of Business College Distinction Enhanced Capstone – Prerequisite: Acceptance into the College of Business College Distinction program. This course is required for all students accepted into the College of Business College Distinction program and is to be taken as a corequisite with capstone course MGMT 4083.
This course is to be taken in MGMT 4083, our capstone course. Successful completion of this requirement will consist of a significant project and presentation approved by the instructor of record for MGMT 4083.
- Courses meeting College of Business College Distinction requirements will be designated on the student’s degree audit.