Residence Hall Director Job Description
Listed below are job duties of the Residence Hall Director position. These responsibilities encompass student and community development initiatives, both proactive and reactive, that directly influence the success of our residential students. They also detail administrative responsibilities, foundational to this success.
- Cultivate a positive and engaging living environment that foster a sense of belonging and enables students to build positive relationships with one another
- Maintain high visibility and availability, including attending community events, regularly touring the community, and interacting with residents
- Know the residents and provide personal, social, academic, and occupational support and referral
- Collaborate with faculty and staff stakeholders to implement programmatic opportunities, some of which may be connected with living learning community themes
- Supervise and train 8-14 resident assistants and 1 assistant residence director.
- Host weekly staff meetings to communicate upcoming events, discuss community concerns, and disseminate AGS information.
- Conduct weekly one-on-one meetings with staff members
- Ensure staff members are appropriately confronting and documenting behavioral issues and concerns
- Provide regular formal and information feedback regarding job performance
- Ensure that Resident Assistant duty procedures are followed
Student Conduct and Crisis Management
- Review all incident reports and police reports (if available) for incidents that take place in the community and/or involve residents living in the community
- Respond to residents in need, referring to other AGS and Residence Life staff when appropriate.
- Adjudicate student conduct cases, track sanction completion, refer to cases or ongoing situations of concern
- Provide leadership during times of crisis in and adjacent to the community
- Assume shared responsibility for on-call duty during AGS.
- Assist in emergency situations as needed
- Implement AGS and Department of Residence Life objectives, policies, rules, and procedures
- Provide programs and other proactive educational interventions to enhance good decision-making by residents
Professional Development & Administration
- Perform administrative duties associated with projects and assignments
- Report, track, and follow up on maintenance issues with appropriate residence life staff, housekeeping staff, and facilities employees
- Administer student check-in, check-out, and room changes; assist with room condition reports and damage billing processes
- Participate in AGS activities and events
- Participate in the training of staff members for AGS
Overarching Staff Expectations
- Serve as a role model for all hall staff and residents in personal and professional behaviors
- Practice ethical stewardship of university resources
- Demonstrate a commitment to AGS by promoting and attending events, facilitating professional development with RA staff.
- Demonstrate a consistent willingness to work with individuals from different race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, ability, ideology, religion, and national origin backgrounds
- Create and maintain positive professional relationships within the department and across the university
- Fulfill other general duties assigned by the Department of Residence Life and AGS
Other Duties as Assigned
- Performs other ancillary duties as assigned by the AGS Directors.
- Attend required AGS meetings including the planning week prior to the official start of the program.
- Communicate information to and between AGS students, Resident Assistants, Department of Residence Life, and AGS staff.
- Master’s student in college student personnel, higher education administration, or similar program preferred.
- Undergraduate student with prior residence life staff experience required.
- Stipend, meals, parking, and a private, furnished bedroom in an apartment with a full kitchen, washer/dryer, internet, cable and all utilities paid.
- Position begins June 25, 2020 and ends August 5, 2020