What You Will Learn
What Is a Feed Mill Management Degree?
This option links the coursework in Agriculture Business and Animal Science with on the job training through its internship requirement. If you enjoy the challenge of animals, markets, management and transportation, this option should be your choice. The program is designed to prepare students to enter the challenging Feed Milling Industry.
What are the career opportunities?
Animal agriculture contributes more than 55% of the total annual agricultural income in Arkansas. The basis for all of animal agriculture is a dynamic feed milling industry that provides the nutrients essential for animal growth and reproduction. Sustainability of animal agriculture in Arkansas depends upon efficient feed utilization and minimization of environmental impact. The educational emphasis of this program is directed at meeting the needs of industry clientele currently working in our many feed mills.
Specifically, Feed Mill Management option graduates are prepared to:
- Operate in the field of raw material procurement, hedging and risk management.
- Apply their business training in management, marketing and finance to promote agricultural products and services.
- Utilize their animal science background in management, feeds, feeding and nutrition to make nutrition recommendations, formulate rations and provide technical service, etc.
What Courses Will I Take?
The Academic Advising Center has created maps that are term-by-term sample course schedules based on the current Undergraduate Catalog. On each Degree Map, the milestones listed to the right of each term are designed to keep students on track to graduate in four years.
What Resources Are Available To Me?
- 300-Acre Farm
- Beef Operations
- Swine Operations
- Sheep Operations
- Horticulture Center
- Five Teaching Greenhouses
- Farm Classroom Facility
- Farm Credit of Western Arkansas
- Arkansas Farm Bureau
- Arkansas Women in Agriculture
- American Farm Bureau Federation
- American Feed Industry Association
- Arkansas Cattlemens Association
- Farm Foundation
- American Society for Farm Managers and Rural Appraisers
- National Young Farmer Educational Association
Additional Resources Specifically For Tech Students:
- Agriculture Club
- Hull-Hughes Collegiate FFA
- Pre-Vet Club
- Sigma Alpha Professional Sorority
- Alpha Gamma Rho Fraternity
Where Might I Find A Job After Graduating From This Program?
Career opportunities exist in agricultural business firms, banks, and other financial
agencies; marketing; food processing; extension; soil conservation; forestry; farm
and agri-business management; and sales and distribution firms. Find out more by visiting Career Services.
Where Can I Get More Information About The Feed Mill Management Degree?
Dr. Malcolm Rainey Jr. (email@example.com) is an animal reproductive physiologist and serves as Head of the Department of Agriculture. He earned his PhD from Mississippi State University and is interested in student academic and professional success.