Applicants for admission to the program must complete and submit an application form and arrange for complete and official transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate course work to be sent directly to the Arkansas Tech University Office of Graduate Studies. You can submit application online toGraduate School Online Application Form
1. Applicants must meet the admission requirements for the Graduate College.
2. Applicants must have completed a minimum of 36 hours in Spanish at the undergraduate level with a GPA of at least 3.00.
3. Applicants must be proficient in Spanish, as evidenced by an entrance interview with a graduate Spanish faculty member
Applicants who fail to meet the grade point requirement specified for unconditional admission may be admitted conditionally to enroll for a maximum of twelve semester hours. If a cumulative 3.00 grade point average or better is achieved at the completion of twelve hours, the student will be granted unconditional admission.
An applicant who satisfies the grade point requirements at an unaccredited college may also be granted conditional admission. In some instances, transcripts may be judged to be deficient and the student will be required to complete supplemental undergraduate or graduate hours in addition to graduate credits required for the degree.
The Program Director will assign a faculty advisor to each student admitted to the degree program. The advisor will assist the student in the design of a curriculum of study that leads to the fulfillment of degree requirements. Subsequently the academic advisor, the Department Graduate Committee, and the Office of Graduate Studies monitor the students progress through the program. It remains, however, the student's responsibility to understand and to satisfy all degree requirements.
Students who have been granted conditional admission are eligible for admission to candidacy for the degree upon the completion of twelve hours with grades of "B" or higher and the removal of all deficiencies. Students who have been granted unconditional admission are eligible for admission to candidacy upon completion of twelve hours with a 3.00 grade point average. It is the student's responsibility to complete the Application for Admission to Candidacy form and to submit it to the director of the program. The form is to be submitted upon the completion of twelve hours of graduate work.
Students who are admitted to the M.A. in Spanish degree program may apply up to six transfer graduate credit toward the satisfaction of the degree requirements, subject to the following conditions:
1. The graduate credits must have been earned at an accredited graduate school.
2. Only courses with grades "B" or better are eligible for transfer credit.
3. Graduate credit earned six years prior to the completion date of all degree requirements may not be applied toward the degree without the approval of the Program Director and the Dean of Graduate Studies.
If after admission to graduate study, a student wishes to take a course at another institution to count toward degree requirements at Arkansas Tech University, the student must secure (in advance of enrollment) a letter from the Dean of Graduate Studies approving the course for use in the Arkansas Tech University program.