Tornado Watch or Warning
- Tornado Watch:
- The National Weather Service issues a tornado watch when conditions are favorable
for the information of a tornado. A watch does not mean that a tornado has been sighted.
However, you should be aware of changing weather conditions.
- Tornado Warning:
- A tornado warning is issued when a tornado has been spotted and people in its path
are in danger. ATU will implement its emergency response plan and alerts will be sent
out via ATU campus emergency and outreach notification system with instructions to
staff and students.
- When a tornado warning is issued:
- The emergency warning sirens will sound.
- Stay away from outside walls, windows, mirrors, and glass.
- Everyone should move from offices and classrooms to designated shelter in place locations.
If time permits, attempt to move to the lowest possible level of the building.
- Do not use elevators.
- Sit on the floor with your back to the interior wall and cover the back of your head
- Remain in the building unless told to evacuate by emergency personnel.