Mental Health Emergency
In the event of overtly threatening behavior constituting an immediate threat to self or others, notify call 911 or Public Safety at (479) 508-3359.
In non-emergency situations, refer students to the Western Arkansas Counseling & Guidance Center at (479) 667-2497.
Don't worry alone. If you are concerned about a student and are unsure what to do, consult with the Western Arkansas Counseling & Guidance Center at (479)667-2497 or contact Public Safety at (479) 508-3359.
Express your concerns directly to the individual.
Make referral in the presence of the individual and offer to accompany them.
Watch for changes in behavior:
- Verbal expression of suicidal or violent thoughts;
- Excessively morbid, violent or depressing themes in written assignments;
- Impaired speech or garbled/disjointed thoughts;
- High levels of irritability;
- Excessive drinking or drug use;
- Severe loss of emotional control;
- Changes in hygiene, speech, attentiveness or social interaction;
- Significant changes in academic or work performance.