If you are a victim or a witness of a verbally abusive individual or disruptive event:
- Call 911, either personally or have someone else call.
- Identify your name, location, and need for assistance. Stay on the phone with the
dispatcher and follow any directions given.
- Stay calm and supportive of others who may be experiencing the verbal abuse.
- If you can, remove yourself or the targeted person(s) to a room and lock the door.
- Attempt to diffuse the situation. Acknowledge anger, but calmly ask the person to
- If the person(s) refuse to leave inform them the police have been called and they
must leave immediately.
- If the person(s) leave be prepared to provide a detailed description to responding
law enforcement officers. (i.e. clothing description, height, weight, build, etc.)
- Never endanger yourself needlessly or continue to argue with an abusive person.