Human Resources Specialist
||Full-time; Starting salary $ 2,210.92/Monthly.
||Human Resources Department
||Arkansas Tech University, Russellville, AR
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of human resources.
- Ability to prepare, present, and review oral and written information and documents.
- Ability to interpret and apply state and agency/institution policies and procedures
governing human resources.
- Ability to communicate with a diverse group of employees.Ability to analyze data and
prepare reports.Ability to work in a technological environment demonstrating proficiency
in word processing, spreadsheets, and data base applications.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Analyzes and evaluates employment applications received from internal and external
applicants to determine if applicants meet minimum qualifications.
- Participates in pre-employment interview panels to assist with personnel issues and
make certain that proper procedures are followed.
- Prepares and coordinates the flow of appropriate paperwork for each interviewee.
- Conducts pre-employment background checks, including but not limited to reference
checks, criminal history background checks, and drug testing.
- Orients new employees by explaining policies and procedures, obtaining required employee
information, and advising employees of benefits packages.
- Conducts exit interviews with terminating employees and informs them of COBRA coverage.
- Provides information to or counsels employees on various personnel issues such as
benefits, grievance procedures, leave accrual and usage, wage garnishments, workers'
compensation, and labor standards.
- Responsible for maintaining a current centrally located employee bulletin board with
all Department of Labor required information.
- Prepares spreadsheets and databases to track employee related information.
- Prepares and submits various bi-weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annual personnel reports
on employee status including new hires, terminations, transfers, promotions, worker's
compensation claims, salary, and leave accrual/usage.
- Responds to inquiries and provides information on state and federal policy to management
- Provides basic training to educate personnel on new systems, policies, and procedures.
- Monitors and provides technical direction by assisting, advising, and correcting personnel
actions keyed into human resources databases.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
The educational equivalent of a high school diploma, plus three years of human resources
related experience. Additional requirements determined by the agency for recruiting
purposes require review and approval by the Office of Personnel Management. OTHER
JOB RELATED EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE MAY BE SUBSTITUTED FOR ALL OR PART OF THESE
BASIC REQUIREMENTS, EXCEPT FOR CERTIFICATION OR LICENSURE REQUIREMENTS, UPON APPROVAL
OF THE QUALIFICATIONS REVIEW COMMITTEE
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office, specifically Word and Excel
- Excellent customer service and organizational skills
- Experience in benefits administration and statement reconciliation.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Human Resources Specialist is responsible for performing human resources related
activities such as recruitment, interviewing, and orientation; monitoring and providing
oversight, and correction to processes related to area of assignment. This position
is governed by state and federal laws and agency/institution policy.
Arkansas Tech University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. It
is the policy of this university not to discriminate on the basis of race, color,
national origin, sex, religion, age or disability in employment or the provision of
If you have questions about this position or your application submission, please call
the Office of Human Resources at 479-968-0396. If you desire to submit a resume in
addition to your application for this position, please submit via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Application for Employment