Human Resources Specialist
|Position:||Full-time; Starting salary $ 2,210.92/Monthly.|
|Department:||Human Resources Department|
|Location:||Arkansas Tech University, Russellville, AR|
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of human resources.
- Ability to prepare, present, and review oral and written information and documents.
- Ability to interpret and apply state and agency/institution policies and procedures governing human resources.
- Ability to communicate with a diverse group of employees.Ability to analyze data and prepare reports.Ability to work in a technological environment demonstrating proficiency in word processing, spreadsheets, and data base applications.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Analyzes and evaluates employment applications received from internal and external applicants to determine if applicants meet minimum qualifications.
- Participates in pre-employment interview panels to assist with personnel issues and make certain that proper procedures are followed.
- Prepares and coordinates the flow of appropriate paperwork for each interviewee.
- Conducts pre-employment background checks, including but not limited to reference checks, criminal history background checks, and drug testing.
- Orients new employees by explaining policies and procedures, obtaining required employee information, and advising employees of benefits packages.
- Conducts exit interviews with terminating employees and informs them of COBRA coverage.
- Provides information to or counsels employees on various personnel issues such as benefits, grievance procedures, leave accrual and usage, wage garnishments, workers' compensation, and labor standards.
- Responsible for maintaining a current centrally located employee bulletin board with all Department of Labor required information.
- Prepares spreadsheets and databases to track employee related information.
- Prepares and submits various bi-weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annual personnel reports on employee status including new hires, terminations, transfers, promotions, worker's compensation claims, salary, and leave accrual/usage.
- Responds to inquiries and provides information on state and federal policy to management and staff.
- Provides basic training to educate personnel on new systems, policies, and procedures.
- Monitors and provides technical direction by assisting, advising, and correcting personnel actions keyed into human resources databases.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
The educational equivalent of a high school diploma, plus three years of human resources related experience. Additional requirements determined by the agency for recruiting purposes require review and approval by the Office of Personnel Management. OTHER JOB RELATED EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE MAY BE SUBSTITUTED FOR ALL OR PART OF THESE BASIC REQUIREMENTS, EXCEPT FOR CERTIFICATION OR LICENSURE REQUIREMENTS, UPON APPROVAL OF THE QUALIFICATIONS REVIEW COMMITTEE
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office, specifically Word and Excel
- Excellent customer service and organizational skills
- Experience in benefits administration and statement reconciliation.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Human Resources Specialist is responsible for performing human resources related activities such as recruitment, interviewing, and orientation; monitoring and providing oversight, and correction to processes related to area of assignment. This position is governed by state and federal laws and agency/institution policy.
Arkansas Tech University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. It is the policy of this university not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age or disability in employment or the provision of service.
If you have questions about this position or your application submission, please call the Office of Human Resources at (479)968-0396. If you desire to submit a resume in addition to your application for this position, please submit via email to: email@example.comApplication for Employment