|Position:||Full time; Starting salary $ 2,962.84/Monthly|
|Location:||Arkansas Tech University, Russellville, AR|
The Education Counselor is responsible for testing, assessing, and counseling individuals and providing group educational and vocational guidance services. This position is governed by state and federal laws and agency/institution policy.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of vocational education, job placement, career opportunities, and evaluation.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of counseling and testing assessment.
- Ability to plan, organize, and supervise the work of others.
- Ability to prepare, present, and review oral and written information.
- Ability to develop, monitor, and evaluate vocational programs.
- Ability to obtain and provide information, guidance, and counseling to students.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Compiles, organizes, and analyzes information about individuals through records, tests, interviews, and professional sources to assess their interests, aptitudes, abilities, and personality characteristics and determine vocational and academic placement of students.
- Provides career counseling to students regarding chosen vocation by assisting students in assessment interpretation and program selection, providing information on financial aid, social support agencies, and other educational institution information.
- Counsels special needs students and at-risk students individually or in group sessions concerning social, civic, personal, and educational problems and refers students to alternate sources for assistance.
- Works with instructors to develop an Individual Written Vocational Plan for special needs and disabled students and monitors program by observing student's progress.
- Advises and educates students, counselors, civic organizations, social service agencies, and other interest groups through presentations and workshops.
- Monitors and documents job market information, including local industry needs and vocational skill requirements, for employment and maintains confidential student records.
- Assists instructors in obtaining and compiling student follow-up information and administers Graduate Equivalency Diploma (GED) test.
- Attends seminars, workshops, and conferences to maintain professional development, networking opportunities, appropriate credentials, and assists with special school functions.Performs other duties as assigned.
The formal education equivalent of a master's degree in education, counseling, or counselor education; plus one year of experience in counseling or a related field. Additional requirements determined by the agency for recruiting purposes require review and approval by the Office of Personnel Management. OTHER JOB RELATED EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE MAY BE SUBSTITUTED FOR ALL OR PART OF THESE BASIC REQUIREMENTS, EXCEPT FOR CERTIFICATION OR LICENSURE REQUIREMENTS, UPON APPROVAL OF THE QUALIFICATIONS REVIEW COMMITTEE.
- Certified Rehabilitation Counselor or eligible with experience in a university setting
- Master's degree in Rehabilitation Counseling, Special Education, Psychology, or College Student Personnel
- Experience working with individuals with disabilities
- Familiarity with disability and higher ed. law
This position is subject to a pre-employment criminal background check. A criminal conviction or arrest pending adjudication alone shall not disqualify an applicant in the absence of a relationship to the requirements of the position. Background check information will be used in a confidential, non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
Arkansas Tech University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. It is the policy of this university not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age or disability in employment or the provision of service.
If you have questions about this position or your application submission, please call the Office of Human Resources at (479)968-0396. If you desire to submit a resume in addition to your application for this position, please submit via email to: email@example.comApplication for Employment