||Full-time; Starting salary $ 2,321.50/Monthly.
||Office of Information Systems - Campus Support
||Arkansas Tech University, Russellville, AR
The Computer Operator is responsible for monitoring and controlling electronic computer
and peripheral electronic data processing equipment. This position is governed by
state and federal laws and agency/institution policy.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer
hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Knowledge of compiling, coding, categorizing, calculating, tabulating, auditing, or
verifying information or data.
- Ability to analyze information and evaluate results, to choose the best solution and
- Ability to enter, transcribe, record, store, or maintain information in written or
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Oversees the operation of computer hardware systems, including coordinating and scheduling
the use of computer terminals and networks to ensure efficient use.
- Reads job set-up instructions to determine equipment to be used, order of use, material
such as disks and paper to be loaded, and control settings.
- Enters commands using computer terminal and activates controls on computer and peripheral
equipment to integrate and operate equipment.
- Monitors the system for equipment failure or errors in performance and notifies supervisor
or computer maintenance technicians of equipment malfunctions.
- Responds to program error messages by finding and correcting problems or terminating
- Operates spreadsheet programs and other types of software to load and manipulate data
and to produce reports.
- Retrieves, separates, and sorts program output, as needed, and sends data to specified
- Loads peripheral equipment with selected materials for operating runs or oversees
loading of peripheral equipment by peripheral equipment operators.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
MARGINAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- May be required to work different shifts.
- The formal education equivalent of an associate's degree in computer science, mathematics,
or a related field; plus one year of experience in computer support. OR Completion
of technical training in computer science, data processing, or a related field acquired
from a vocational, military or industrial setting, plus one year of experience in
- Additional requirements determined by the agency for recruiting purposes require review
and approval by the Office of Personnel Management.
- OTHER JOB RELATED EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE MAY BE SUBSTITUTED FOR ALL OR PART OF
THESE BASIC REQUIREMENTS, EXCEPT FOR CERTIFICATION OR LICENSURE REQUIREMENTS, UPON
APPROVAL OF THE QUALIFICATIONS REVIEW COMMITTEE.
- Experience in troubleshooting, analyzing and performing repairs to computers and peripheral
- Experience in troubleshooting printing/networking problems.
- Experience assisting in the recommendation to personnel regarding purchases of hardware/software.
- Experience in assisting with the deployment, installation and upgrading of hardware/software.
- Experience in troubleshooting basic network operating systems.
- Experience in maintaining and updating service desk indicating the status of repairs
and accounting of time.
- Experience in current technology for computer, networking, and software systems.
- Good written communication skills.
- Experience working in a University environment/setting is preferred.
This position is subject to a pre-employment criminal background check. A criminal
conviction or arrest pending adjudication alone shall not disqualify an applicant
in the absence of a relationship to the requirements of the position. Background check
information will be used in a confidential, non-discriminatory manner consistent with
state and federal law.
Arkansas Tech University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. It
is the policy of this university not to discriminate on the basis of race, color,
national origin, sex, religion, age or disability in employment or the provision of
If you have questions about this position or your application submission, please call
the Office of Human Resources at 479-968-0396. If you desire to submit a resume in
addition to your application for this position, please submit via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Application for Employment