Computer Operator - Extended
|Position:||Full time; Starting salary $2,321.50/Monthly|
|Location:||Arkansas Tech University, Russellville, AR|
The Computer Operator is responsible for monitoring and controlling electronic computer and peripheral electronic data processing equipment. This position is governed by state and federal laws and agency/institution policy.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Knowledge of compiling, coding, categorizing, calculating, tabulating, auditing, or verifying information or data.
- Ability to analyze information and evaluate results, to choose the best solution and solve problems.
- Ability to enter, transcribe, record, store, or maintain information in written or electronic/magnetic form.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Oversees the operation of computer hardware systems, including coordinating and scheduling the use of computer terminals and networks to ensure efficient use.
- Reads job set-up instructions to determine equipment to be used, order of use, material such as disks and paper to be loaded, and control settings.
- Enters commands using computer terminal and activates controls on computer and peripheral equipment to integrate and operate equipment.
- Monitors the system for equipment failure or errors in performance and notifies supervisor or computer maintenance technicians of equipment malfunctions.
- Responds to program error messages by finding and correcting problems or terminating the program.
- Operates spreadsheet programs and other types of software to load and manipulate data and to produce reports.
- Retrieves, separates, and sorts program output, as needed, and sends data to specified users.
- Loads peripheral equipment with selected materials for operating runs or oversees loading of peripheral equipment by peripheral equipment operators.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- The formal education equivalent of an associate's degree in computer science, mathematics, or a related field; plus one year of experience in computer support. OR Completion of technical training in computer science, data processing, or a related field acquired from a vocational, military or industrial setting, plus one year of experience in computer support.
- Additional requirements determined by the agency for recruiting purposes require review and approval by the Office of Personnel Management.
- OTHER JOB RELATED EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE MAY BE SUBSTITUTED FOR ALL OR PART OF THESE BASIC REQUIREMENTS, EXCEPT FOR CERTIFICATION OR LICENSURE REQUIREMENTS, UPON APPROVAL OF THE QUALIFICATIONS REVIEW COMMITTEE.
• Must have 2 years of experience in troubleshooting and repair to computers and peripheral
• Must have 2 years of experience in installing and terminating network cabling.
• Must have 1 year of experience in configuration and installation of layer 2-3 switches.
• Have a background in making hardware and software recommendations.
• CompTIA A+ or Network+ certifications a plus.
This position is subject to a pre-employment criminal background check. A criminal conviction or arrest pending adjudication alone shall not disqualify an applicant in the absence of a relationship to the requirements of the position. Background check information will be used in a confidential, non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
Arkansas Tech University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. It is the policy of this university not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age or disability in employment or the provision of service.
If you have questions about this position or your application submission, please call the Office of Human Resources at (479)968-0396. If you desire to submit a resume in addition to your application for this position, please submit via email to: email@example.com Application for Employment