Coordinator of Minority Student Relations
|Position:||Coordinator of Minority Student Relations|
|Location:||Arkansas Tech University, Russellville, AR|
The Division of Student Services is seeking candidates for the position of Coordinator of Minority Student Relations. This is a full-time, non-tenure track, 12-month position.
The Coordinator of Minority Student Relations has responsibilities in the Department of Student Success. This position requires a masters degree. Primary job functions and duties and responsibilities are listed below.
About Arkansas Tech University : Founded in 1909, Arkansas Tech University is rich in history and is now one of the fastest growing universities in the region. With an over 50 percent enrollment increase since 1998, the current campus population exceeds 10,000 students. Arkansas Tech University, located in Russellville, Arkansas, is situated in the heart of the Arkansas River Valley Tri-Peaks region. Nestled between the beautiful Ozark and Ouachita Mountains as well as Lake Dardanelle State Park, Russellville offers small town appeal with city benefits. With a population of almost 25,000, Russellville is only an hour from the capital city of Little Rock.
About the position: This full-time professional staff member will report to the Associate Dean for Student Success. As an essential member of the staff, this person will work closely with students and colleagues to develop, implement, and track all initiatives in areas of minority student retention, involvement, leadership, and support services. This staff member will be expected to present to and engage with university faculty/staff, students, community members, and related professional association members. This position includes roles in student advisement. Some night and weekend work is required to effectively administer these programs.
- Research, develop, and implement specialized retention and support driven initiatives geared toward increasing graduation rates among minority students.
- Work to engage minority populations with existing Student Success programs including retention initiatives, tutoring services, and career exploration and placement
- Assist with the development of a campus-wide diversity education program.
- Serve as a liaison and educational resource to students and faculty/staff on issues related to diversity, inclusion, and social justice by designing and facilitating workshops, training programs, and serving as a discussion facilitator.
- Serve as an advisor to registered student organizations.
- Coordinate with the assistance of registered student organizations and the Student Services division events for Black History Month, Hispanic Heritage Month, LGBT Pride Month, and others.
- Collaborate with the Campus Life department to engage minority populations with existing programs including the co-curricular experience, leadership and service programs, Greek Life, student activities, and New Student Orientation.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participate in Bridge to Excellence retention program as a mentor.
- Serve on departmental and division-wide committees as scheduled.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Masters degree in appropriate academic area
- Experience working with college students
- Work experience in Student Services at a college or university
- Work experience and/or involvement with minority student populations at a college or university
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Dedication to creating a collaborative and creative work environment
- Ability to manage multiple projects
- Detail oriented and the ability to prioritize
Compensation:Salary range is $30,000-$35,000 commensurate with experience and qualifications plus full benefit package including excellent health insurance, vacation, and retirement package.
How to Apply: Send a letter outlining your qualifications, a resume, and contact information for at least five professional references to Dr. Beth Giroir, Associate Dean for Student Success, Doc Bryan Student Services Building 239, Arkansas Tech University, Russellville, AR 72801, (479)968-0309 or via email (preferred) at email@example.com. (AA/EOE)
Applications are due no later than August 29, 2014, at 5:00 pm. Anticipated employment start date is October 1, 2014. This position is subject to a pre-employment criminal background check. A criminal conviction or arrest pending adjudication alone shall not disqualify an applicant in the absence of a relationship to the requirements of the position. Background check information will be used in a confidential, non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.