Arkansas Tech University is committed to ensuring access to academic programs, facilities, and activities for higher education to academically qualified individuals who have disabilities. Students with disabilities attending Tech will be integrated as completely as possible into the University community. Tech does not offer a specialized curriculum for students with disabilities nor does it assume the role of a rehabilitation center, but it does assume the responsibility for modifying campus facilities and procedures to accommodate individual needs where reasonable.
Graduate Assistant Opportunities:
Disability Services is seeking a graduate assistant to assist with the development of web materials, publications, and provision of accommodations which require use of assistive technology (for example, captioning, and transcript development). The successful candidate will be a highly motivated individual committed to promoting equity and respect for students with disabilities.
Responsibilities for this position include:
• Web content creation including review/rework of existing web pages
• Writing clear and succinct copy for web pages
• Accessibility checking of web pages
• Captioning audio/visual materials and transcript development
• Development and publication of a quarterly newsletter
• Working on informational and promotional brochures and flyers
• Assisting with planning and implementation of Disability Awareness Event
• Other duties as assigned
• Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university
• Admission as a degree seeking student in the Arkansas Tech University Graduate College
• Successful completion of a background check
• Excellent teamwork and communication skills
• Flexibility in work assignments and environments
• Preferred qualifications: Individuals with a background or undergraduate degree in journalism, English, or communications are strongly encouraged to apply.
• Must be available to begin work on July 1, 2014
• $1,000 per month stipend
• 18 hours of tuition (out-of-state portion waived) per year
How to Apply:
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and three professional references to Liz Means, Director of Disability Services, email@example.com.